Diving in Europe vs. Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My husband's an avid underwater photographer... he loves colorful, macro stuff. You said several of the venues have decent dives -- which would you say is the best?

Croatia and Sicily will have decent opportunities for some good photography. Not sure about Corfu - I don't know much about the diving there to be honest. Greece only recently opened up it's diving and I haven't been. At a guess it should have some decent visibility and colourful life. Marcro stuff is ideal - don't expect huge shoals of reef fish though.

Dubrovnic:

blue-planet-diving-center.jpg

Subject is good - some better lighting and it could be a good photo.

Croatia and Sicily will have decent opportunities for some good photography. Not sure about Corfu - I don't know much about the diving there to be honest. Greece only recently opened up it's diving and I haven't been. At a guess it should have some decent visibility and colourful life. Marcro stuff is ideal - don't expect huge shoals of reef fish though.

Dubrovnic:

View attachment 399646

Subject is good - some better lighting and it could be a good photo.

If Greece just opened up diving it might be decent / undamaged? Can you recommend a DM in Croatia or Sicily?

Thanks!

Keep expectations low, I'd say. It's fun because its diving, but honestly, Europe has a ton of topside attractions on offer. I've very occasionally dived European waters, but I generally leave the dive gear at home unless I'm heading to the tropics.

If Greece just opened up diving it might be decent / undamaged? Can you recommend a DM in Croatia or Sicily?

Thanks!

Greece has some good reviews recently, but to be honest like Croatia and Sicily you are talking about huge geographical areas and you will find good and bad places to be. The cruise ship is going where there are interesting things to see on shore, these might not be the best places for diving. Without knowing the logistics - how long you are staying, whether you have a rental car and so on I am struggling to be much help. I will stick to my very broad recommendation to take the gear "just in case" and you will find a Google or Trip Advisor search just as valuable as I do.

Keep expectations low, I'd say. It's fun because its diving, but honestly, Europe has a ton of topside attractions on offer. I've very occasionally dived European waters, but I generally leave the dive gear at home unless I'm heading to the tropics.

Europe is even bigger than Croatia or Greece!

I dive in Europe all the time and never ever go to the tropics. So far after more than 25 years diving and a few thousand dives I have yet to get bored and feel the need to go to the tropics just to look at some tedious blue fish that I can see on YouTube. Hey - I have even dived in the Netherlands. Perhaps not the best venue Europe has to offer to be fair :) I must visit Zeeland again sometime.

Croatia in particular has some spectacular diving. Not sure the OP can access it on such a short and venue limited trip though. My favourite diving is still round the Ile de Planier in France. The wreck of the Dalton there was made famous by Cousteau and the wheel of the wreck was the logo for Aqua-Lung. But hey if that is low in your expectations fair play - I really must be missing out on all the little blue fish and stuff.

Croatia

the-baron-gautsch-wreck-6017.jpg

Corfu

248.jpg

Last edited:
We're actually spending a few days before and after the cruise in Barcelona. Any diving there?

Medes Islands (Islas Medas) are not far from Barcelona, which is supposed to be decent. Haven't dived there myself yet though.

Back
Top Bottom