Diving in Europe vs. Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YYJValerie

Registered
Reaction score
We just booked a 10 day cruise in early May 2018 -- ports include Barcelona, Florence / Pisa, Rome (Civitavecchia), Capri/ Pompeii, Dubrovnik in Croatia, Corfu, and Messina in Sicily. My husband and his dive buddies are very experienced Advanced Open Water divers and have logged many, many dives throughout the caribbean including (to name a few) Cozumel, Roatan, Curacao, Grand Cayman, Belize, etc. So the question is, will the diving at any of the ports we are going to compare to the caribbean? Should we haul the dive gear along, or just focus on the many options topside?

Depends on how you get your zen. I was in Greece for a conference and did some shore and night dives with a guide. I was up not far from Thessolonaki. I have also visited some of the places your mention on shore. There were not lots of colorful fish that I saw diving or snorkeling. But there was interesting to me marine life and decent viz. Saw several new species of fish, a few nudibranchs, several octupus, etc. On the other hand some of the scenery and history is quite spectacular such as Dubrovnik. etc. and not what you will see on any Carribean Island. Given I was doing the trip I would definitely do some of the shore and land stuff but would work in a few morning dives along the way. Maybe bring regs/computer/camera and just rent the dive gear.

Several of those venues have decent dives. However without knowing what opportunities there are and how long you are there and all the other details it is hard to make a sound judgement. Also what floats your boat underwater? Wrecks, fish, invertebrates? Did they all enjoy the Caribbean? This string is proving hard to measure.

Yes - take the kit. If you don't you will regret it. If you do and you don't need it it will still be dry and not need cleaning when you get home :D

In the mediteranean sea you'll have a great viz, but it won't be like the carribean at all.
Colder and with less marine life. And you won't be at reserves marine life places, so focus on the inland trips.
And 10 days for all of that mean not a lot of time to visit any of the cities.
Barcelona takes days to see everything, same for Rome and Florence !

I can't speak to Corfu or Messina, but I would highly recommend your take full advantage of the topside tourist sites in all of the other ports. I have been to all of them, most of them several times, and still have not seen everything there is to see among these favorite destinations. From talking to divers in those European countries, I think you would be very disappointed compared to what you get in Caribbean dives. I love to dive, but have never even been tempted to skip the topside tours in favor of diving in thos ports.

People have said it all above; key differences with the Med is you will see a lot less fish and it will generally be much more temperate.

In the mediteranean sea you'll have a great viz, but it won't be like the carribean at all.
Colder and with less marine life. And you won't be at reserves marine life places, so focus on the inland trips.
And 10 days for all of that mean not a lot of time to visit any of the cities.
Barcelona takes days to see everything, same for Rome and Florence !

We're actually spending a few days before and after the cruise in Barcelona. Any diving there?

Several of those venues have decent dives. However without knowing what opportunities there are and how long you are there and all the other details it is hard to make a sound judgement. Also what floats your boat underwater? Wrecks, fish, invertebrates? Did they all enjoy the Caribbean? This string is proving hard to measure.

Yes - take the kit. If you don't you will regret it. If you do and you don't need it it will still be dry and not need cleaning when you get home :D

My husband's an avid underwater photographer... he loves colorful, macro stuff. You said several of the venues have decent dives -- which would you say is the best?

Back
Top Bottom