Diving in Connecticut?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greg G.

Reaction score
I'm thinking of applying for a job in Branford, CT. I notice it's very near the coast. Anybody here familiar with the dive conditions? e.g. water temp, average vis, climate, availability of quality shore dives, etc.

I was born and raised in CT, but now live in MA. Haven't done any diving in CT, but I know there is plenty of good diving there and in Rhode Island, which is only about 40 miles away.

First of all, here is a general map. Branford is about 10 miles or so east of New Haven. You are also about 30 miles west of New London, CT -- home of the US Coast Guard Academy, US nuclear sub base and submarine museum -- also a bunch of charter boats (fishing and diving).

Map

One charter boat I've heard good things about is the Atlantis. This site has lots of good links as well for area clubs, etc.
http://www.atlantis.nu

You might try posting the same question over on the scubadiving.com message board -- I know there are at least a few regular posters over there from that area. Try posting first thing in the morning EST time -- you're bound to "get noticed" easier that way.

Bottom line -- very nice area. The towns to the west of Branford are especially nice, but pricey. I'm sure with a little reserach you'll turn up plenty of good diving opportunities.

Oh -- one more thing. Here is a water temp link. For various areas of New England. Looks like the southern New England coast (CT & RI) is at or near 70. High water temps in that area will approach 72-75 by the end of the summer.
http://www.maineharbors.com/weather/seatemp.htm

Enjoy!

Believe it or not, I do miss it, having dived in Seattle for 6 years before moving to SE Flor-i-duh a year ago. Had to stay here a year cuz my employer payed my way, now I'm not obligated and want the F out. (Out of my employer, not necessarily SE Fl). Sounds like a nice area, I'm going to fire off that resume today! What's the climate like generally speaking?

Originally posted by large_diver
I was born and raised in CT, but now live in MA. Haven't done any diving in CT, but I know there is plenty of good diving there and in Rhode Island, which is only about 40 miles away.

First of all, here is a general map. Branford is about 10 miles or so east of New Haven. You are also about 30 miles west of New London, CT -- home of the US Coast Guard Academy, US nuclear sub base and submarine museum -- also a bunch of charter boats (fishing and diving).

Map

One charter boat I've heard good things about is the Atlantis. This site has lots of good links as well for area clubs, etc.
http://www.atlantis.nu

You might try posting the same question over on the scubadiving.com message board -- I know there are at least a few regular posters over there from that area. Try posting first thing in the morning EST time -- you're bound to "get noticed" easier that way.

Bottom line -- very nice area. The towns to the west of Branford are especially nice, but pricey. I'm sure with a little reserach you'll turn up plenty of good diving opportunities.

Oh -- one more thing. Here is a water temp link. For various areas of New England. Looks like the southern New England coast (CT & RI) is at or near 70. High water temps in that area will approach 72-75 by the end of the summer.
http://www.maineharbors.com/weather/seatemp.htm

Enjoy!

Hi Greg,

Looks like you got a couple of replies over on scuba diving.com -- hope they were helpful.

As to the climate - like many areas of the US during the summer, temps in CT can get into the 90s, but unlike the south, these higher temps don't last more than a few days. We also don't get sustained high humidity as in the south. I used to live in Atlanta and couldn't take the heat!

Fall and spring are great. Winter is, well, winter. Snowfall and temps will be somewhat milder than inland due to the ocean effect. Water temps in CT will likely stay high 60's close to 70 though much of Septmeber. I dive maninly on the north shore of Boston where the water temps tend to be 8-10 degrees colder than CT. I dive with a wetsuit from May through November.

The diving location tips you've received on scubadiving.com are for areas east of Branford. Heading west towards New Haven/West Haven/Milford/Bridgepsrt, things are more urban and not as nice.

Here are a few realtor sites for that area. No knowledge of either of these guys, but DeWolfe is one of the largest realtors in New England and they have a generally good reputation. These sites provide a wealth of links and regional info, desriptions of towns/attractions, etc.

http://www.ct-realtor.com/ (This is DeWolfe)
http://www.ct-waterfront-realestate.com/index2.htm

As a general place to live -- very nice. You don't have a huge city right nearby, but you are between NYC and Boston, both about 2 hours away by car or train (good Amtrak service in that area).

Hope this is helpful -- post here or e-mail if you have more questions.

Good luck with the job search!

Chris

Oh no! More NY'ers?! Egads! I thought SE Florida was bad, they should call it "New" New York! (Just kidding!) I like NY'ers (most of them), they're, well, different... :wink:

Originally posted by large_diver
Hi Greg,

As a general place to live -- very nice. You don't have a huge city right nearby, but you are between NYC and Boston, both about 2 hours away by car or train (good Amtrak service in that area).

Hope this is helpful -- post here or e-mail if you have more questions.

Good luck with the job search!

Chris

Back
Top Bottom