Diving in Belize - Do I need a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Armueller2001

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm going on a dive with Royal Caribbean in Belize in the middle of March and I saw that the description said that wetsuit was not included... do I need one for this area?

Thanks

I think that you are asking about temperature.

We always wear wetsuits for things other than temps. - jelly fish being just one.

Check the Belize section to get better info.

Genreally speaking the water in Belize is pretty consistent temperature year round...mid to upper 70's, and can reach low 80's in summer. While this is warm, you can get chilled after prolonged exposure. Everybody is different, though. I'd be fine, my girl would be shivvering after 10 mins. Guess I have more body fat...

There are GREAT deals to be had on 3mm suits these days. Diver's Supply had shorties for like $25 recently. I bought one as a spare and tested it in Thailand last week. Loved it. You should look around and consider one. As Dan said, temp is only one factor to consider.

Dave

The fact that they don't include a wetsuit has nothing to do with whether you personally need one. It's really hard to guess without knowing how easily you get cold. And as mentioned there's other reasons to wear some kind of suit than temp.

I've been in Belize in May, July, and November always averaging 4 dives a day on a liveaboard and have always been fine in my usual 1mm skin. For a couple dives on a cruise ship excursion you could probably get away without. But if you don't want to take a chance that you'll be cold and spoil your dives there you could always just rent a shorty from them to be sure. Or if you will be doing more tropical diving sometime you can buy a tropical suit fairly cheap.

78* to 80* so a skin or 3mm, more for the surface because it can get windy on the surface in March. A light windbreaker will help! You will do two dives, so stay warm between and you will be fine! Have fun, but I would do the Cave Tubing in Belize since most dive sights are a long boat ride away! I would dive in Roatan instead or another stop! :wink:

Two Tanked Productions HD & SD Underwater Productions and video services

Thanks for the advice guys.

Any recommendations on a cheap shorty wetsuit?

EDIT - It looks like full suits aren't as expensive as I thought. I may get one just out of fear of jellyfish and the like.

Been there in January without wetsuit. Water temp was 79 - 80. We did 2 dives a day (my first dive trip) I was cold by the end of the week but not intolerably. 3 mill would be perfect. I almost never wear a wetsuit but always a rashguard (see jellies comment). I hate them. I think they are a communist conspiracy to take the fun out of diving. Of course when I do I use a henderson titanium super stretch. I find it takes less of the fun out of getting ready to jump in. Most of the time I'd just as soon shiver a bit.

Last time I was there I never wore a wetsuit. It was more defiance on my part, since I had spent the majority of the year in a drysuit/doubles with thick undergarments and I just wanted to be free in the water. I was fine, never got cold. I would recommend a rash guard, but it is completely doable w/o a wetsuit if you are the least bit tolerant of cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom