Diving in Belize (Cruise Ship)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were on the Triumph for the week of 5/17 through 5/24, and also ended up at Belize instead of Cozumel. We went with Sea Sports. (This is my first post, so it won't accept URLs: wwwdotseasportsbelizedotcom.) We had to tender in from the ship, then walk a hundred yards or so past the cruise terminal to their shop. Rather than go to the atolls, we had booked a two tank dive on the barrier reef for $110 each. It took a few minutes to get going, but it was 0700 their time (0900 ship time), so we appreciated that they were up early. We had a total of six divers on a small boat, two of whom were to be certified that day. It was about 20-25 minutes out to the dive sites, (JR's Wall and The Lounge) both of which were near Gallows Point on St. Georges Caye. The reefs were the healthiest I had seen on the trip (we had also dived in Ocho Rios, Jamaica and Grand Cayman on this trip). Viz was 70+ feet, but unfortunately it was somewhat overcast. We had to do back roll entries off the boat, which was fun as we hadn't done them since class. There was a ladder for reboarding. Since we were up early relative to local time, the pace was very unhurried and we were able to use all of our air for each dive. Highlights were a barracuda that got right in the DM's face, a large black grouper and eagle ray(both unfortunately skittish), lots of vase sponges, and a moon jellyfish on one safety stop.The surface interval was spent on a small island with sodas, sandwiches, chips, and cookies provided (compared to just water on our previous two excursions). They returned us to the cruise terminal dock where we caught the tender back. We had a great time and would certainly recommend and use Sea Sports again.

Things I learned about cruise ship diving: 1) the cruise line wants you to check in your dive knives with their security people - we knew this in advance and left ours home, only bringing shears; 2) a rolling mesh duffle bag is the hot ticket - you often have quite a distance to walk, on the ship and on the pier during your dive excursions; 3) it's nice to have a balcony to dry your gear on. Having said all that, my wife and I had a blast on this trip and would certainly combine cruising and diving again.

Last edited:
We booked a somewhat pricey but seemed cooler than heck shore excursion from the dock to Ambergris Cay through Cruises Only Shore Excursions desk. They pick u up from dock, whisk you away to an airport fly in small plane (low enough altitude not to affect diving about 1500 feet over reef systems to Ambergris after landing in San Pedro they drive us to the boat where we'll have a two tank dive and then flown back & returned to ship. It's 199.00 per diver 2 tank & transport. This was our guilty pleasure...I hope it rocks. I've read posts that said was worth the $ & would do it again Will let you know as soon as we get back. Tax

Back
Top Bottom