Diving in Bali in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

C--Now all you have to do is figure out how to dive the rest of the week and you are set. I'm back in Tulamben next month so don't go seeing EVERYTHING before then, save some for the distant travelers. I think you'll find the NE side of Bali to be a bit warmer water and certainly a quieter setting.

Sounds like you may already be hooked on Indonesian diving (one dive can do it!), lucky for you you are already there! // ww

Haha I haven't figured out a way to dive during the week...sadly work has to come first! Unfortunately the dive trip this weekend has been cancelled as the owner of the boat has said it needs to be taken in for repairs. :-(
I'm looking forward to diving in the NE of Bali. When are you diving Tulamben? I'm there around the 13-14th October.

Woo Hoo !

Just booked the whole month of November in Amed Bali. I'll be diving with an operation called Adventure Divers and staying at their bungalows as well.

Finally...I"m making it to the South Pacific.

Looking forward to getting hooked on Indonesian diving.

Wow! The whole month...! Hope it's everything you want it to be!

South Pacific?

Look at a map. Indo is the border between the south Pacific and the Indian Oceans. Try Googling "Indonesian Throughflow" -- fascinating!

- Bill

Great catch...I was just watching that BBC series South Pacific and went in search of some place I could actually afford.

The Indonesian Throughflow does offer an interesting explanation as to why I'm thinking about packing a hood and gloves to dive Nusa Penida.

Wow! The whole month...! Hope it's everything you want it to be!

So do I.

Usually I manage a couple of months on Utila every year. I can't do two dives/day every day due to really, really crappy eardrums ( perforated my left eardrum three times ) so I can at least get a decent amount of diving in.

I didn't figure it was worth hassling with Indonesian immigration for a second month on this first time to Bali but, if things work out, then I hope to return every year with the goal of exploring more of what Indonesia has to offer.

Say Hello to Lisa and David for me.
I would think twice,before : not sure what's going to happen after that.
In some of the dive shops like at Gekodivers, if you mention Bill you immediately get tarred and feathered.

In some of the dive shops like at Gekodivers, if you mention Bill you immediately get tarred and feathered.

Unlike Bill, it’s safe and appropriate to give Gekodivers a greeting from charlie.

Clara--We aren't there until 10/25 but are staying a couple weeks. If you have a chance, head into town and have lunch or dinner upstairs at Wayan's (you sort of have to search for the stairs, they don't exactly stand out). Excellent view of Gunung Agung, let's hope it remains quiet! // ww

No, no - I mean -- sure I get tarred and feathered at Geko.

But Lisa usually spanks me. (Just ask her).

- Bill

I thought I'd pop back in and tell you all what a wonderful couple of dives I had at LDR. I arrived later than planned as my flight was delayed and then we were sat on the runway waiting to depart as Bali airport was closed....then we were delayed landing and getting off the flight. So a flight I had taken to get me in at a reasonable time ended up with me arriving at LDR at 00.30. :-(
Regardless, I loved my first dive at the wreck and was astounded at how full of life it was. I will say though that the big trigger fish and the other rather large species of fish (I'm not sure what they were) made me a little nervous...! The corals growing on the boat and the swim throughs are fantastic though. Some of the smaller swim throughs again made me a little nervous but were fun to do regardless. I saw an amazing pink leaf scorpionfish, an electric clam which I thought I was filming but wasn't, a big map pufferfish among others.
My night dive was highly unenjoyable though and I doubt I'll do another one. I found the lack of vision very unnerving, the idea of all those big fish swimming around without me knowing where they were was also a little unsettling (sort of like a spider that you know is in the room but can't see) and then the current picked up and I was really overwhelmed. Then my guide led us back to shore without me fully realising what was happening until we were doing the safety stop and had managed to calm back down. All in, I'm sort of glad I've tried it but not keen to repeat the experience. As a new (and somewhat anxious) diver I should have left my camera behind and just focussed on just diving in the dark. Live and learn right?!
However, the next morning we went to Seraya and I had the most amazing dive. I have just done my EAN course so used Nitrox for the first time. We saw harlequin shrimps, an orangutan crab (I love that this exists!), a whip coral shrimp, a frogfish, loads of nudis and some tiger shrimp. This was all before 9am and made me so incredibly happy! I'll have to try to get some photos on flickr to share as I am beginning to get the feel for using my new TG5 for macro photos. :)
LDR was a great place to stay and I'm glad I took your advice WW! I would happily go back there for more (daytime) diving.
I'm now in Seminyak wondering what diving I might be able to do from here but not sure yet if I'll be able to....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom