Diving in/around San Francisco Bay for a local

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CA_Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I looked at previous threads about diving in SF, but didn't really find what I was looking for.

I'm located in SF, and usually head Monterey for most of my diving. I've gone North once for a Scuba dive and saw fields of giant abalone at 50', out of Point Arena. Other than that, I really don't know much about the Scuba diving in between, except that I need to dive Gerstle Cove at some point and that the bay isn't made for diving (poor vis, strong current).

So I have two somewhat related questions to throw out there...

1) Is there any decent diving for an spur of the moment afternoon dive within about an hour or so of SF north or south? Or even if there's a hidden gem in the bay we're all over looking? It doesn't have to be spectacular, just dive-able and enough to "feed the need".

2) Anyone dive at Moss Beach/Fitzgerald Marine Reserve before?

3) Should I just suck it up and make it a night dive in Monterey? :dork:

Thanks!

What about right there at Moss Beach Distillery? That is my favorite place to eat. Just drive down Cabrillo Hwy and look. The vis may be bad though. You cant beat Monterey though.

Last edited:
Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: California North, USA West
There is diving at Gerstle, as well as Stillwater and Ft. Ross.

Thanks for the link, I'll probably try to site those site next time I head up north, but I was wondering if there was anything even closer than that. Those sites are still about 1.5-2 hrs out, which is still like driving to Monterey.

I've looked around a bit, but I don't want to be "that guy"...the one makes the headline "Coast Guard rescues lost Scuba Diver near Half Moon Bay" :shakehead:

I know the spearo's go to Pacifica every now and again to look for Halibut and often report bad vis. I haven't heard of anyone dragging a tank out there though

Ooops, I didnt see his skill level. I have snorkeled Mavericks with my wife, but it was summer. Pretty Flat then and she is a Triathlon swimmer with over 2000 dives under her belt. Speaking of the rocks west of Ocean Beach (Farallon Islands) they are diveable a few months a year...You better stay close to the Breakers in Monterey.

Last edited:
What about those rocks 27 miles west of Ocean Beach :D

Chuck used to do it a couple times a year when Kawika was alive.

I'd go in a heartbeat, but I don't think my little inflatable would be the safest ride.

When I said the rocks near Ocean beach, I mean the ones right near the Cliff House (or whatever it's called now).

Back
Top Bottom