Diving in a rain storm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chaseh:
Lightning shouldn't be any concern in the ocean when you're at depth.

I wasn't in the ocean when this happened... :14:

dove in a storm a couple of weeks ago. we were in ther water doing nav. stuff for an ssi course. storm blew up and lightning came also. I was happy I was under the water instead of being on the boat. I wouldnt do it on purpose but if your ever out in it look at the lighting from under the water

I am no longer sure about the lightning part. Diving recently in Grand Cayman during a small storm the DMs told us not to worry because the electricity was quickly dissapated in the sea water and not a danger. The only comfort I took in that was they were in the water with the group and had been in GC a long time.

As you might have surmized, I made it back.

I've been diving in the rain a few times. One dive master commented it was like skiing while it's snowing.

Being wet and out of the water in a lightening storm could be a problem. Packing up your gear and trying to keep the car from being too trashed is a pain in the rain. Rain runoff may also be a problem is some areas...just too much toxic waste running into the water.

once about 10 years ago while diving on aliwal shoal in South Africa. We still decided to go out in a major storm, just strong wind and rain no lightening. The swells were about 12 foot, looked like the movie perfect storm. The dive was great just trying to get on the boat after was crazy, had to time it right and then you still either hit the side of the boat or went right over the boat :), I would not suggest this type of dive for a newbie.

Thinking back now, the skipper must have been a bit of a cow boy.

Yeah.. that must be the one... no offense, but I'm having a good laugh at the visual of the description.

Your welcome and no worries.. part of being at the group dives is looking out for one another. In this case some of yawl were unaware of when 'the weather started getting rough' and we stepped up to make sure things were safe.

Brewone0to:
Colin,
If you were referring to the Venice
"Washing Machine" dive, as you so aptly dubbed it
It wasn't completely unnoticed.
There was the sudden darkness and
an increase of surge of about 3-4 fold.

BTW thanks again for rucking the gear.
I for one, owe you and Brian one.
(and anyone else left unmentioned)

Brian (the other one)

You don't dive South Florida often before you get stuck out in the rain. Dove in two white outs this past winter and could not see more than 100' feet on the surface. All captains have been out in these conditions and watch out close for divers on the surface. One of those trips included heavy lighting and I was surprised the trip was not cancelled. This boat in paticular had been struck by lighting within the last year knocking out all the electronics. Put on you flip flops and keep away from metal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom