Diving history - frog kick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nirvana

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A few weeks ago I finally got to read Sheck Exley's "Basic Cave Diving: Blueprint to Survival". I found the book to be very interesting both because of how current it still is in its lessons and because of the differences in equipments and techniques used then and now.

In particular, it is remarkable that although Exley states the importance of avoiding stirring up silt through careful swimming, the only kick mentioned is the flutter kick.

So, my question is, does anyone know when the frog kick started being used in diving? Which agency or group made it popular? Was it imported from some other sport?

Any light on the matter is appreciated.

I do not know what the diving history is but I am glad I started using it in many of it's forms for 90% of my diving. I think it is sad that it is not mentioned to any extent let alone taught in most of the OW, AOW and many of the othere classes until you get to the tech classes.

The true frog kick has been around a long time, i.e. drawing up legs, flaring fins out and pushing/squeezing fins back and together with legs ending up straight back, then repeating.
The modified frog kick which is actually a sculling action more than a true frog kick, AKA anti silting kicks with legs up was born in the caves. But I don't know the birthdate or who the parents were.

Back
Top Bottom