Diving GBR in 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d^2b

Worse diving through photography
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I see that Australia is (probably) reopening. I have a window of March-September 2022, and I'm thinking of trying to schedule a GBR liveabord. I don't know much about GBR diving, so I'd welcome feedback. I see Mike Ball and Spirit of Freedom are both well regarded. Any other hints for what could well be a one time trip? I have dove a fair amount in the Caribbean, and two weeks (back to back) in the Red Sea. I guess I am looking for something moderately high end, say on the standard of Explorer Ventures or Aggressor Boats. I'm a photographer, and not a deep / deco diver.

I am Cairns based and all the overnight trips are back running but most of the Outer Reef trips are on reduced schedules at the moment.

Here is a bit of info on differences between inner, outer, and Ribbon Reef trips.

Best trips are those going to far north like Mike Ball and Spirit of Freedom. Both visit same areas with similar itinerary.

Between June and September is the Minke whale migration and you get to dive with the whales as well as visit the best the GBR had to offer, so strongly suggest look at SOF or MB around this tome but be aware they fill up very fast.

Drop me a PM if you want more detailed info but I put some links in above so you can compare.

I see that Australia is (probably) reopening. I have a window of March-September 2022, and I'm thinking of trying to schedule a GBR liveabord. I don't know much about GBR diving, so I'd welcome feedback. I see Mike Ball and Spirit of Freedom are both well regarded. Any other hints for what could well be a one time trip? I have dove a fair amount in the Caribbean, and two weeks (back to back) in the Red Sea. I guess I am looking for something moderately high end, say on the standard of Explorer Ventures or Aggressor Boats. I'm a photographer, and not a deep / deco diver.

I did the Mike Ball Minke Whale Expedition in the end of June 2019 and loved it. Coral is more damaged than in the Red Sea but saw almost 20 whales at the same time and plenty of sharks on night dives.

Rent a car and dive the Yongala from Ayr afterwards.

I dove with Spirit of Freedom and they were great. Granted it was 2004, but we really loved them.

I am Cairns based and all the overnight trips are back running but most of the Outer Reef trips are on reduced schedules at the moment.

Here is a bit of info on differences between inner, outer, and Ribbon Reef trips.

Best trips are those going to far north like Mike Ball and Spirit of Freedom. Both visit same areas with similar itinerary.

Between June and September is the Minke whale migration and you get to dive with the whales as well as visit the best the GBR had to offer, so strongly suggest look at SOF or MB around this tome but be aware they fill up very fast.

Drop me a PM if you want more detailed info but I put some links in above so you can compare.
Thanks for those links.

Really on my bucket list. Bloody expensive though!

Some miscellaneous if not rather odd questions for someone who's never dived there...

Are any of those dive boats rebreather friendly?
Solo diving?
Enforced buddy diving?
Follow the DiveMaster?
Something about rules that divers must have "snorkels"?
Dive times/lengths?
Assume DIN regs are normal?
Any wrecks to play on?
Much current on reefs?
Any misc rules like needing medicals and other bureaucratic guff? ***
Much shore diving? Rules?
Water temperature?
What's the rental kit like?
Cylinders: steel 12's or ali80s?

*** Whilst I've always admired Australia, there seems to be a lot of rules certainly over the covid malarkey. Not quite the free and easy place I once thought it was

Some miscellaneous if not rather odd questions for someone who's never dived there...

Solo diving?
Enforced buddy diving?
Follow the DiveMaster?
Dive times/lengths?
Any wrecks to play on?
Much current on reefs?
Water temperature?

*** Whilst I've always admired Australia, there seems to be a lot of rules certainly over the covid malarkey. Not quite the free and easy place I once thought it was

My answers are related to my experience in the Mike Ball Liveaboard and Yongala dives from Ayr:
- I did not have to follow the divemaster and was assigned a buddy;
- I did not wear a snorkel;
- No issues with my DIN reg;
- The Yongala is a wreck but penetration is not allowed;
- Generally speaking no current, except in one dive spot in the GBR. Yongala is famous for the current;
- Water temp 22-25C in June/July (Winter);
- Cylinder: I was using 15L steel tanks in the liveaboard and 12L aluminium in the Yongala.

Solo diving?
Enforced buddy diving?
Follow the DiveMaster?
Dive times/lengths?
Any wrecks to play on?
Much current on reefs?
Water temperature?

Are any of those dive boats rebreather friendly? - I was on a RIB with Yongala Dive (Yongala wreck from Ayr) and a purpose built catamaran with Sydney Dive Charters (Rose Bay). I would say the RIB is not set up when its at capacity

Follow the DiveMaster? My good friend and I dived together on the Yongala. With Sydney Dive Charters we followed the owner/guide to the sharks then we were left to dive as we pleased.

Dive times/lengths? We were on doubles. About 30-60min per dive, whenever the DM called it.

Assume DIN regs are normal? I have DINs. Had to use an adapter with Yongala Dive AL80's. Sydney Dive Charters have DIN valve 12L steels.

Any wrecks to play on? Yongala. You won't play...you'll be too mezmorized by the marine life.

Much current on reefs? Lots of surge entering water from boat at 'the Apartments' untill you get to depth around 50-60 ft then it's calm easy swim.

Any misc rules like needing medicals and other bureaucratic guff? *** I was only ever asked for certification information.

Much shore diving? Rules? My friend told me about a couple excellent places near Sydney but we never got to them.

Water temperature? Late May, 20C to 24C (68F - 75F)

What's the rental kit like? Yongala Dive was ok/avg. Sydney Dive Charters is top drawer.

Cylinders: steel 12's or ali80s? Both

Some of my logged dives during my tooooo brief of a time there:
Aus.jpg

One other important thing to bear in mind while making plans.
Australia is BIG!
Being from Canada I know what that means. I have been to the UK, diving in west Wales. Visiting friends in London, Manchester, Cardiff areas. All of that fits into one province. :wink:
To dive the Yongala, we took a flight, Sydney to Townsville (~2hrs) , rented a car and drove to Ayr where we had accomodation with the dive operator.
You could drive from Sydney but it's probably a 24hr route.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom