Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jetsettingbarista

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I dove the GBR in 2014 with Mike Ball and loved it, but only did a short trip since I was a newbie diver. I'd really like to go back for a longer trip, but I'm worried about the reef health. Fwiw, the reports we get in the US and via word of mouth says that half the reef has died. Asia is a long way to fly from the US, so I just want to hear what the latest is. I didn't see any recent posts about this - can anyone share their recent experiences, where they were, and how it was? Thank you so much!

I dove the GBR in 2014 with Mike Ball and loved it, but only did a short trip since I was a newbie diver. I'd really like to go back for a longer trip, but I'm worried about the reef health. Fwiw, the reports we get in the US and via word of mouth says that half the reef has died. Asia is a long way to fly from the US, so I just want to hear what the latest is. I didn't see any recent posts about this - can anyone share their recent experiences, where they were, and how it was? Thank you so much!
Was on Spirit of Freedom December, 2022 (13 months ago) with adult son. Went on the 5-day itinerary to Osprey Reef where I believe Mike Ball also goes as well. Way out there in the Coral Sea. Also did a day trip a week later from Mission beach, south of Cairns with a local operator.

Osprey Reef was as clean as any reef you'll see anywhere. Loved it. Pricey, but it's probably the best east coast diving in Australia.

Inner reef on the day boat was dull and unremarkable. Shallow diving in general. No better or worse than what you'll see at any popular Caribbean destination.

Back
Top Bottom