Diving Ft. Pierce area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblehead628

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi I just recently heard about shore diving at Ft. Pierce Inlet SP and Claude Pepper Beach. I did a google and SB search and haven't found much info on the diving aspect. Is it similar to the beach dives in Broward (Dania, LBTS, Hollywood, etc.)? Is slack tide best? Any details would be appreciated, because I think I'm going to plan a trip down there.

Thanks

Doug

I've done a couple of spearfishing dives offshore of the inlet at some rock piles in about 50 fsw. I don't really care for this area much. It's always been murky, low viz conditions on the bottom with one heck of a thermocline. My few dives started with clear, warm water down till about 40ft then it goes to very cold brown water. Maybe someone else knows of some good spots or times, I sure don't.

I dove with Sheeper last month. Good guy. We dove Humiston Park in Vero. I took some GP video. We didn't see a whole lot, but it was still a good dive.

[video=youtube;74QDAELIWPA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74QDAELIWPA[/video]

I dove with Sheeper last month. Good guy. We dove Humiston Park in Vero. I took some GP video. We didn't see a whole lot, but it was still a good dive.

[video=youtube;74QDAELIWPA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74QDAELIWPA[/video]

you mean not much except for a MONSTER lobster!

Bubblehead628, There is actually quite a lot of shore diving along the Treasure Coast. Pepper Park is a good (easy) dive. Lots to see along the entire stretch. There are 3 basic reef lines. The first is smaller and broken up. Within 50 feet east, the 2nd reef is a larger and a bit more complex. 100 feet beyond that the 3rd reef is even a bit larger with interesting structure. we see frequent nurse sharks there, turtles and lots of tropicals. I've shot a number of lionfish there as well. Occasional larger fish include snook, tarpon, grouper and various snappers. Shallow reef systems are hit and miss for spotting the cool fish. You're looking at 15 feet as an average depth.

Diving up near Vero is also good. Similar reef lines with the addition of a wreck at Humiston Park in Vero. A bit deeper with 18-20 feet as a max.

Do look for Vero Beach Scuba Club on Facebook.

Don't tell people about the lobster! lol Those 2 we saw were like Godzilla. Largest lobster I've ever seen.

Don't tell people about the lobster! lol Those 2 we saw were like Godzilla. Largest lobster I've ever seen.

lobster? what lobster?

Last time I was there, Memorial Day, vis was about 8'-10'. I had a decent sized reefie roll up on me from behind and stop by my face and turned toward me fast...pushed him away with my dive flag spool.
I wasn't spearing.
Good times.
I have heard Waveland has decent structure, but haven't been there myself.
A little further South you can do the Georges Valentine in Stuart.
For fills there is a shop both in Ft Pierce and Stuart.

Sent from my iPhone from my momma's basement

Thanks everyone for your responses (I promise not to mention the lobsters).  As most of you may know diving in the Daytona area is not that great; although we do have some large lobsters here if you're willing to go out 20 - 30 miles).  We tend to drive a lot to dive sites either springs or salt water.  I prefer salt water over springs and the closest option for us is Jupiter for boat dives (3 hours) or the BHB for shore dive(3.5 hours), heck we've done Pompano as a day trip (a long day trip).  So hearing about Ft. Pierce/Stuart diving got my attention, especially since it's about a 2 hour drive.  Thanks again<br><br>Doug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom