diving from Block Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cekberg

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to be spending a few days vacationing on Block Island, RI in October.

Does anyone know if there is any diving to be done FROM Block Island? Is there any sort of dive shop there? Shore dives? Boat dives? I looked around on the internet but didn't find much.

I doubt I'll run out of fun things to do there, but it just seems wrong to be so near the ocean and not dive :) Then again, maybe I should just be thankful I'm not at work!

I've been to Block Island many times over the years and there's no dive shops on the island(unless they've opened one in the past year or so). I don't know about shore dive possibilities, but I've never seen a dive flag in the water near shore. There are boat charters which dive to sites just off the coast of Block Island like the U-853, Lightburne, Black Point, Idene, etc. For more info, you'd have to call a RI dive shop on the mainland. I think there's one in Narragansett and one in Warren? Good luck anyhow.

LobstaMan

There is actually a dive shop out there. I know absolutely nothing about it, beyond the fact that it exists, so I can't say if they are any good. Anyway, here is the info from the phone directory:

Island Outfitters & Dive Shop
239 Ocean Avenue, Block Island, RI 02807
(401) 466-5502

cekberg:

Does anyone know if there is any diving to be done FROM Block Island? Is there any sort of dive shop there? Shore dives? Boat dives? I looked around on the internet but didn't find much.

I doubt I'll run out of fun things to do there, but it just seems wrong to be so near the ocean and not dive :) Then again, maybe I should just be thankful I'm not at work!

I weekend from my boat as often as possible on Block Island. I don't know if there are shore dive sites from the island. We're talking the best in New England (in my biased opinion :wink: for boat diving. There is one shop on the island. They are good but small with limited services. They offer only air so you need to import your own Nitrox if that is your desire. They offer rental equipment as well. Call ahead to determine their hours and schedule. They offer air fills even when the shop is closed by appointment. There are tons of wrecks at all skill levels around Block Island. The U853 is no doubt the most popular. You touch metal at 95' and the sand at 125'. Usually poor vis and current. There are many many other wrecks around Block Island. The following website is a great source: http://www.wreckhunter.net/

--Matt

Dive shop on Block Island? Wow, been there tons of times and never heard or seen it. Oh well.

LobstaMan

LobstaMan:
Dive shop on Block Island? Wow, been there tons of times and never heard or seen it. Oh well.

LobstaMan

Island Outfitters as listed above in the thread - walking distance from Yellow Kittens Tavern.

--Matt

I've seen that bar a bunch of times bike riding, never the shop. Next time I'm there I'll keep my eyes peeled.

LobstaMan

cekberg:

I did a few kayak dives a couple years ago from one of the coves (Dolly's Cove, maybe? can't remember). It was quite nice. Give it a shot!

Back
Top Bottom