Diving dry in the tropics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

90 degree water, I might reconsider. I've never seen that outside of a hot tub, though.

I found that once in Lake Travis, 95* at the surface, 107* air temp. Problem is the viz was crap for the first 40 feet, where it dropped to 85* in the muck and then by 50 feet the temps were in the 50s...brr...

BTW, diving dry in the tropics rocks. Like TSandM said, it's not so much about the dive as it is the surface interval. I'm a cold weenie and even if I freshly warmed the wetsuit I am still freezing and shivering when I exit the water and take off my suit. Your core temp drops, period, in a wetsuit. In a drysuit your core temp can still drop, but not to such a great degree because there is no water completely surrounding your budy and leaching the warmth right out of you.

Peace,
Greg

I dove dry in the Red Sea, in 81 degree water, and I LOVED it. These were almost all recreational dives. I got in the water warm, and I got out WARM. No shivering when the wind hit me. I watched my friends (and husband) get out of the water and hurry to get out of their wet suits, and wrap in towels, and head for the galley for hot drinks. Me? I unzipped my suit, stepped out of it, pulled off my fleece undergarments, and stood there in my shorts and T-shirt and felt wonderful.

I have ALWAYS been cold getting back on the boat. Most of the people I watch are cold on the boat, even if they felt fine in the water. I think people drastically underestimate the amount of heat they lose diving, even if they don't feel uncomfortable underwater. I have found the solution for me: reduce the heat lost IN the water, and you don't feel cold OUT of the water.

I own a great, light, comfortable dry suit. Why not dive dry?

90 degree water, I might reconsider. I've never seen that outside of a hot tub, though.

I do not consider 81 degree water that warm, I would be wearing a full 3 mm wetsuit AND a hood for scuba diving in that and maybe a shorty over the top for a night dive.

I sometimes dive when the water is well above 84 degrees. The only thing worse than being cold in the water is being too hot. It really can make you feel claustrophobic.

Why would I not dive dry in those conditions? Because I love to snorkel before and between dives. You never know when you might see dolphins, a whale shark, manta ray or something else really cool and if you want to see it, you need to get in the water immediately.

Also, I drink a ton of water when diving and i am constantly pissing. I've never used one of those pissing condoms, but I wonder if it would be as comfortable as being able to go when I want. With a thin, warm water wetsuit with a little room in it, it is easy to flush the suit underwater.

That is also why I prefer a weight belt, if you have only integrated weights in the BC, you can't grab your weights and snorkel/freedive. Also, I think that should an emergency occur where you might want to get in the water to help somebody, or even just check on how their deco is going, it is nice to have fins and gear that you can pop on and hit the water. If everything is configured for a dry suit, i think I would be much less likely to get in the water.

I hate being cold. I bought my first dry suit when I was 15 because I got tired of freezing. It took me forever to save up enough for that suit by washing dishes at $1.60 per hour! So I am not adverse to dry suits by any means. (Now that we are completely off topic).:D:D:D

This was a useful thread but now it is going to Hades. I think "now that we are diving dry in warm water" this thread has come to a useful end. About five people in the entire world do this, one just posted, I met two in Florida and dove with them, super nice people, and maybe a couple more.

I'm SIX...

RJP.jpg

...and my buddy is SEVEN

tajkd.gif

BTW, diving dry in the tropics rocks. Like TSandM said, it's not so much about the dive as it is the surface interval. I'm a cold weenie and even if I freshly warmed the wetsuit I am still freezing and shivering when I exit the water and take off my suit. Your core temp drops, period, in a wetsuit. In a drysuit your core temp can still drop, but not to such a great degree because there is no water completely surrounding your budy and leaching the warmth right out of you.

Peace,
Greg

I want to feel the water against my body to become ONE with the ocean. I think the only time I would dive dry is when its too cold for me to bear. Thst might change if / when I try a dry suit but for now Id rather be feeling water instead of dry neoprene.

OMG! diving dry in warm water? WTH!!!!
What happened to this thread?

I dive wet in 50 degree water OK. Some say I'm a lunatic. Most people dive dry in these temperatures. Yes I do get cold a little after a time in the water. I have a few very nice custom suits to offset this problem.
I'm also a minimalist meaning that I use as little gear as I can get away with because that's what turns me on. I deal with it.

I also don't have a lot of money right now thanks to taking a direct hit by the economy, so my opportunities to travel for the next few years are slim to none. But let me tell you, I love the feeling of salt water on my body and being wet. That's a big reason I go into the ocean.
If I had an opportunity to go somewhere warm where the water is 81 degrees, after I passed out from excitement and not beleiving that I'm actually there, I would probably dive naked! until I got arrested, then I would put on a three mil or a dive skin. I've never dove in water warmer than about 75 degrees, I would freak out in water in the 80's

And now I hear there are some that dive dry????? I don't get it... Actually I think I do get it which I'll get to in a minute.

It's on my bucket list to get to dive minimalist (no BC) in a warm water destination with nothing more than a skin on and glide around so natural and free. Maybe someday.

So here it is:
I have a feeling, but I'm not certain and I'm sure I'll get flamed for suggesting this, but I have a good hunch that the whole diving dry in warm water has something to do with DIR and the whole DIR redundant buoyancy concept with the drysuit and also the gear familiarization theory and not so much about staying warm in warm oceans and high humidity hot climates. Am I right?

ZKY:
I have a feeling, but I'm not certain and I'm sure I'll get flamed for suggesting this, but I have a good hunch that the whole diving dry in warm water has something to do with DIR and the whole DIR redundant buoyancy concept with the drysuit and also the gear familiarization theory and not so much about staying warm in warm oceans and high humidity hot climates. Am I right?

Nope, I don't think that's the case for anyone who actually dives dry in the tropics. I'm cold after an hour in 75-80 degree water even with 2 layered 3mm full wetsuits, an after the second or third dives, I'm shivering. In other words, I'm really a cold water wimp, and it has absolutely nothing to do with DIR. Also, there's nothing in DIR against wetsuits, even in doubles, with the right configuration. In tropical water with an al80 tank, there's typically no need for reundant buoyancy because a wing failure should never leave you with too much weight to swim up or stay at the surface.

I know the A group and their B group wannabees show up to stomp those who disagree into submission, you will forgive me I tell you to :eyebrow:. I ain't running for class president here since you point it out. It is ridiculous to dive a dry suit in warm water. My opinion. :rofl3:

Like I said, when we are talking about the ridiculous, the merits of the discussion are lost and the thread has run it's course.

"Opinionated," look in the mirror Mr. BP/wing.

You consider a dry suit purchase for tropical diving, I think I will get a travel BC jacket for tropical diving. Who will look more ridiculous in 87 degree water and 98 degree air temps?

Answer--not me.

My, don't we talk a big game on the internet. The posters you are mocking diving dry in the tropics are tec divers who might want to utlilize doubled-up steel cylinders for added gas requirements on deep wreck sites or long cave dives in warmer locales such as Mexico. Diving wet otherwise mandates the usage of AL cylinders.

Also, I do not push BP/Wings on those new to the sport or strictly recreational divers. I usually recomend the Dive Rite TranPac or it's equivalent which is a great cross-over selection...

My diving dry has nothing at all to do with DIR, and everything to do with the fact that I HATE being cold. And since I have this lovely, light, quick drying dry suit . . . I have to admit that the first experience I had with diving in 75 degree water in a dry suit WAS in caves, but it generalized quickly.

I was up to diving a 5 mil suit with a 2 mil hooded vest in 80 degree water, trying to stay warm . . . the next step would be a 7 mil, and honestly, my Fusion is more comfortable and easier to get in and out of.

My diving dry has nothing at all to do with DIR, and everything to do with the fact that I HATE being cold.

Yup. And remember, the water doesn't need to be COLD in order for YOU to get cold!

I've worn my DUI 30/30 Tropical Drysuit while diving Grand Cayman, Little Cayman, Cayman Brac, Bonaire, Curacao (x2), Truk, Florida (x2), Hawaii(x3), the Red Sea and elsewhere. I typically do 4-5 dives a day for a week or two when traveling. I've never ended a single one thinking "Would have been better if I was cold."

Do you get laughed at? Plenty of good-natured ribbing is thrown your way, for sure. When my buddy and I did the Town Pier in Bonaire we spent 60min in the water... while everyone else was done after 30min. On the Cayman Aggressor we exited the water after night dives, unzipped, and walked up to the bar for a beer, while everyone else huddled under blankets slurping hot cocoa - earning us both the coveted "Sissy Diver" award at the end of the week.

Did 57 dives in 17 days in Truk. Sure, the water was 83F. But on 90min wreck penetration dives - where you need full-body exposure protection down to 180' or so - 3mm is not enough, 5mm sufficient, drysuit...perfect.

:eyebrow:

Also, it is far more comfortable on the surface than a wetsuit. It's been literally years since I've experienced the "thrill" of donning a cold, clammy, wetsuit. And the Gore-tex like material that DUI uses on the 30/30 is far cooler on the surface than a wetsuit of any thickness on a hot day, even in the midday sun at the Hilma Hooker...

WarmDry.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom