Diving Doubles in Salt water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

black1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Do you all prefer Aluminum or Steel for this, have not dove doubles yet but want to learn soon, was wondering what is best for diving in Florida water ocean dives in a 3 to 5mm wetsuit, thanks.

Without the redundant buoyancy of a drysuit, the common suggestion is aluminum doubles.

As noted steels are going to be way too heavy. The local conventional wisdom has been telling me Al, while marginal is acceptable when diving wet...as long as you test to see if you can swim it up from depth with an empty wing.

The old steel 72's are great in that setting. I can dive them with no BC in salt water with just a swim suit.

I have decided to purchase a White's Fusion dry suit so steel shouldn't be a problem if I go that route, thanks all.

Remember, also, that which doubles you use depends in part on what kind of dives you want to do with them . . . If you want to do two recreational dives in a day off a set of doubles, Al80s will do if your SAC rate is low. They're okay for gas reserves for a single T1 dive, but for most people, not for a T1 dive and then a second, recreational dive. I dive double steel 85s at home in salt water, but that's primarily for recreational profiles, and I have a very low SAC rate (and I routinely get generous overfills). I just bought a set of 100s for the dives I may do with my tech cert (assuming I get it).

I'm curious, the 100's LP, or HP?
(no need to hijack the thread with debate about the merits, plenty of threads around for that)

Al80s ...[are] okay for gas reserves for a single T1 dive, but for most people, not for a T1 dive and then a second, recreational dive.

Yah, but most people don't get dirt cheap helium and wouldn't want to waste T1 gas for a recreational dive anyway.

I just bought a set of 100s for the dives I may do with my tech cert (assuming I get it).

I'm looking to upgrade one of my sets (of 100s) to something like LP120/121s. Boost them up to high pressure and I could get two T1 dives and maybe a third rec dive on the one set :D

I'm curious, the 100's LP, or HP?
(no need to hijack the thread with debate about the merits, plenty of threads around for that)

It's all about you. LP physically bigger and thus heavier than HP for equivalent volume. So, how is your back? Are you often beach diving them?

Also, longer tanks will add more weight towards your butt, and will thus trim differently than shorter tanks.

edit: ugh, I didn't see your gray text until after I answered.

I'm looking to upgrade one of my sets (or 100s) to something like LP120/121s. Boost them up to high pressure and I could get two T1 dives and maybe a third rec dive on the one set :D

Or kill yourself getting back on the boat...

:)

HP130s. Get some.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom