Diving DIR as PADI Instructor, ok?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

youriv

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi divers,

I am thinking about diving using the DIR method while working as a PADI Instructor. I wonder if PADI has a problem with this. Will it causes conflictions when you are diving with the DIR method and are conducting PADI courses?

For example, when you teach BB, is it a problem for PADI when you give your primary air supply instead of your alternative?

For as far as I can think of, this could be the only problem here. All the other equipment configuration is compatible in any way. In DIR you also don't wear your snorkel but, although it is not DIR, it is not a problem to put the snorkel on the mask.
I know DIR is more than equipment configuration but I just give it here as an example.

I would like to hear some opinions on this subject.

Thnx,

Youri

My husband and I phoned PADI. I suggest you do the same. They were very helpful and weren't anti-DIR at all. Please call them. 1-800-PAY-PADI

There are a pair of instructors here who have been doing this for about the past 6 months. They are getting better and better at turning out quality n00bs :wink:

As for putting the snorkel on the mask - it [is] a problem when deploying the long hose. I think if you check your PADI rules, you'll find that the snorkel needs to be "available for use" which can be tucked somewhere other than your mask :D

youriv:
For example, when you teach BB, is it a problem for PADI when you give your primary air supply instead of your alternative?

Nope. The PADI OW manual I have mentions donating the primary when using an inflator regulator (AIR2, Airsource etc.). I can't see why they would have a problem with a bungied backup and long primary.

You may want to consider also how close your equipment is to that of your students. It shouldn't be a problem, but for some it may be confusing as to why equipent and such was different in class than 95% of what they will likely ever see. Then again, if you can convince your students to buy a full DIR setup from you more power to you...

I did send an email to PADI, just waiting for a reply. I will let you know what they say about this.

@SnowBear: can you tell me what these instructors are doing? Are they also teaching the divers DIR or are they only diving DIR themselves?

Anyone here diving DIR while teaching PADI?

Check the instructors forum there is a long thread there about this topic.

japan-diver:
Check the instructors forum there is a long thread there about this topic.

Yes, if you are currently a scuba instructor, you can email to the Moderator "Dee". After providing her with a little information, she will give you a pass to view and post in the Instructor to Instructor forum.

The thread Japan Diver was probably referring to was a good one about teaching OW students in a Hogarthian rig. Just what you are asking about here...

Please contact Dee...If you don't know how to contact her, send me a PM and I will help you...

youriv:
@SnowBear: can you tell me what these instructors are doing? Are they also teaching the divers DIR or are they only diving DIR themselves?
They are incorporating as much as they can of the DIR principles into their OW classes. Currently, they are contemplating charging a bit more and adding a pool session so they can actually teach the students the basic skills while hovering rather than kneeling (they've found the kneeling in a semi-circle is a time saver :wink:).

I gave them a couple of ideas/suggestions last weekend as to how to teach this from the start without adding a pool session, but..... I'm just a lowly DM who doesn't even dive with their classes that much, so ..... :rolleyes:

I don't teach DIR style, but I also have all the skills done while hovering after being done kneeling. All OW skills are done while maintaining neutral buoyancy in the water column, where they will or could occur.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom