Diving depths in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are concerned about going too deep on your first few dives (as you should be), it is probably best to try to contact various operators and find one who will customize the dives to your required dives. I did that on my son's first dive trip in May and was very pleased with the way that Scuba With Alison (Alison Dennis) handled the situation. We went to sites that were best for a shallow dive. That would be much better than "hovering" above the rest of the group.

Hiring an individual DM as has been suggested with one of the larger operators may also work for you.

In any case, I was pleased with the way that Alison handled the situation and you may want to contact her. www.scubawithalison.com

Rich Hagelin

PS You will love diving at Coz. You'll be spoiled for the rest of your life.

scubajen once bubbled...
I am only certified as an open-water diver, which I thought
meant you are not suppose to go farther than 60ft. Now I have
gone on a dive where I went about 70ft. down, which was
fine, but I am not to thrilled about going down to 90 and 100ft!

Just concerned for me and scubahubby's safety!
:)
Another suggestion: on your first full day, do a shallow shore dive in front of your hotel in the morning to get used to diving again. Then take the afternoon boat. A lot of operators will do a 1 tank dive on a shallow reef, such as Paradise/Paraiso in the afternoon.

James Goddard once bubbled...

Sure.

Yes I consider a "real" wall to be a shear drop. What you see in Coz (at least within recreational limits) are slopes.

James

I got ya. :D Thanks for clarifying.....and I agree 99% of what are termed *wall* dives in Cozumel are slope dives. :wink:

The Santa Rosa Slope is still a great dive though!!!

Brules

scubajen once bubbled...
I received my information for my dive trip and read
where my first dive would be 60-100 ft. down.
I am only certified as an open-water diver, which I thought
meant you are not suppose to go farther than 60ft. Now I have
gone on a dive where I went about 70ft. down, which was
fine, but I am not to thrilled about going down to 90 and 100ft!
How likely is it that I will go to these depths and if so will I be
ok since I have no training at this depth?

Just concerned for me and scubahubby's safety!
:)

The number one comment I have heard from first-time deep divers who were apprehensive is: 100 feet was basically the same as 50 feet. Until you feel noticeably narced or it starts getting noticeably dark it really is basically the same (except air consumption, off-gassing time, etc.).

I've read with interest the comments regarding sheer walls in Cozumel. For those that like shear walls, may I suggest the wall at Santa Rosa is one of the "sheerest" in the Caribe area. In fact it even has overhangs! Also, Columbia Deep would have to qualify as a sheer wall. At the most popular entry point, you can find shelves at about 100' - but believe me when you look over the edge - it's eep blue down there. And Punta Sur goes without saying - it's sheer. We could mention Mariciabo - but that reef is beyond the reach of the average recreational diver.

Hopefully, this will give you some ideas of where to go on your next rip to Coz.

Regards,

Jim

ONE, don't go beyond your own personal limits based on what you feel that you are adequately trained and equipted for. I don't want to argue the merits of any dive association's suggested limits. Go by what your brain and your experience tells you. If and when you become sufficiently comfortable with depth to diver to 100+ feet, then do it, but not before.

Do not let your friends, your boat-mates, your DM or the Coronas talk you into anything you are not ready for.

TWO, be upfront with your diver operator. They can help you, and if they won't help you, then find another dive operator who will. A good diver operator and a good DM will take care of you, but they need to know in advance. They can take you to shallower dives, or they could offer to provide some training for you for deeper dives if that is what you want. Do not go on a dive that is deeper than you want to go, but also don't screw up everyone else by springing it on them out on the water.

There are MANY good dives in Cozumel that are within 60 feet of the surface. Some of the deep walls have tops that are at 40-65 feet and are still real good.

EXAMPLE: We dove at Tormentos in June. We dropped over the wall to about 110 ft right away. The wall drops away to (maybe) a thousand meters or something. It is just a dark nothing below you, and a great wall in front of you. A couple gals in our group were uncomfortable with the "drop off to the abyss" even though they had experience beyond 100 ft. One aborted, and one held the DM's hand for the remainder of the dive. We came up and the remainder of the dive was at 70-75 feet, and we saw plenty. Above the shoulder of the wall, the top surface of the "reef" was less than 65 feet and had plenty to see.

Just because the wall goes down several hundred feet doesn't mean that you have to. A relaxed dive is a lot more fun.

My opinions, but only because you asked,

Wristshot

James Goddard once bubbled...

Yes I consider a "real" wall to be a shear drop. What you see in Coz (at least within recreational limits) are slopes.

Punta Sur = Wall (no doubt. Inverted a bit in places)

and...

Shoot, where was the other.... small (down to about 150', I think) wall at Santa Rosa, perhaps? Dernit, don't remember the name. But any "wall/slope" that I find myself gliding over the lip and thinking "magnificant... like stepping over the edge of a cliff" is good enough for me.

The wall in GC is definately a wall. :D

scubajen once bubbled...
The package we booked has us diving with Dive Paradise on
a large boat. I hope they can cater to our needs.

I suspect (hope) you'll be pleasantly surprised by how gentle a 90-100' dive in the Caribbean is compared to our dark cold northern dives. If you've never dived the Caribbean you're in for a treat. No dive should be underestimated but I'm positive you'll feel much more comfortable down there. Dropping down the wall in warm blue water is nothing like dropping down the dark, cold wall at Gilboa, for instance.

Have fun and dive safe
JohnF

JohnF once bubbled...

I suspect (hope) you'll be pleasantly surprised by how gentle a 90-100' dive in the Caribbean is compared to our dark cold northern dives. If you've never dived the Caribbean you're in for a treat. No dive should be underestimated but I'm positive you'll feel much more comfortable down there. Dropping down the wall in warm blue water is nothing like dropping down the dark, cold wall at Gilboa, for instance.

Have fun and dive safe
JohnF

Yep. When you're at 100' in Coz, you can look up and see with great detail the waves on the surface. It usually looks to be about 20' away :)

Back
Top Bottom