Diving depths in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As an instructor it's been a constant source of frustration. I can't even count the number of divers that I've certified who did thier very first post cert dive to 80 or 100 ft in Cozumel. Thanks to the good folks that run these boats I've made numerouse changes in my class. I spend some time talking about how much gas it might take to get two divers to surface from 100 ft. I spend some time talking about trust me dives (because that's what these are) and what's wrong with them. I've known many divers with lots of dives under their belts and these dives are still trust me dives for them because their just following the DM and his plan and they don't have any idea what it might take to get you and a buddy (if you have one) out of trouble at 100 ft. True, 100 ft in the warm clear Caribbean is not as freightening as in cold dark water but I think that just leads to a false sense of security. Also true is the fact that many people are doing many of these dives everyday and usually nothing goes wrong. It's a good thing because many are not at all prepared for it. Ive done many 100 ft+ dives in an AL 80. After all that I've come to the conclusion that it isn't enough tank and one reg isn't enough to make sure I can get to the gas I have.

I can tell you for a fact that if you do some research you can find an oporator that'll will take you on dives more suited to your experience level. It's worth the trouble.

scubajen once bubbled...
The package we booked has us diving with Dive Paradise on
a large boat. I hope they can cater to our needs.

Hope? sounds a little reactive. Why don't you call them?

Back
Top Bottom