Diving daytrips FROM San Juan, Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mich327

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I'm new here - hello! - and I'm excited to have found this site.

I saw that a similar question was asked in March 2006, but not answered, so here goes:

I will be in San Juan next month (exactly) for a work event but have 2 free days. I already have a hotel booked in San Juan, but want to do some diving - preferably NOT IN SAN JUAN, since I've read that the local reef is not great for vis. SOooo... do I need to rent a car to go somewhere on day trips? If so, where is the bet place to drive (and how far is it)?

Or, are there Padi 5-star operators that will pick me up from San Juan?

My hubby will be with me and we're both AOW.

Any info is appreciated!
Thanks!
Mich327

Hi!
As far as I know, no operator does pick-up at hotels in the San Juan area. You will most likely have to rent a car to get around, and how far you'll have to drive really depends on the type of dive you want to do.
Although some operators in San Juan will have the group of divers meet-up at the Dive Shop, put the tanks and gear in each divers car, and head-out form there... It would be better for you to just schedule a dive trip with one of the operators dedicated to the particular dive area/site you are interested in.
Arguably, the best diving in PR is done in the South-East and South-West of the island, though there are many really nice dive sites all around PR.
To the east of San Juan, you have dive operators that leave from Fajardo (45-60min drive from SJ) and from Humacao (60min drive SE of SJ).
To the South-West you have Dive Operators (Parguera & Cabo Rojo) a good 2 hour drive away from San Juan, same goes for those (Aguadilla & Isabela) to the Noth East.
If you have your own gear and would only need tanks, I could direct you to some shore diving just 30 min form SJ, but for safty reasons would still recommend going with someone who knows the site.
Hope this help!
Happy diving!
-Francisco

Thanks Francisco! Do you think Fajardo or Humacao is better for diving? I like good vis and healthy coral.

And we love shore diving - we have our own gear except weights and tanks.

If anyone else has any opinions, would love to hear!

Thanks!

From what I've heard Humacao would probably be the best dive...calmer water, hence better vis.
I'm still new to diving myself and have done most of my diving in the North-west of PR and some outside of PR.

Don't forget diving Culebra! $2.50 ferry ride gets you to some of the best diving around as well as a top ten beach ( Flaminco). I might even be your Capt/inst that day. Not a sales pitch as I dont make jack but I get to dive and meet new people!

Wildcard:
Don't forget diving Culebra! $2.50 ferry ride gets you to some of the best diving around as well as a top ten beach ( Flaminco). I might even be your Capt/inst that day. Not a sales pitch as I dont make jack but I get to dive and meet new people!

I'll second Culebra, although the ferry can get overcrowded if you pick a holiday weekend. I took my teenagers diving there 2 years ago when they first certified, and they loved it. Not too many divers there, but the diving was good and so was the snorkeling. Have not dived elsewhere in PR, so can not compare sights there.
We will be returning to PR this spring and are looking for other dive sights to explore.

Thanks Wildcard and Gypsyjim! Do you think if I do Culebra on 1 of the days, that I can be back at my hotel by mid afternoon?

Very doubtful.
To get to the ferry you have to go to Fajardo, thats a good 45-60 minute drive from SJ. The ferry takes another 60-90 minutes or so. Even if you go with an operator from the main land versus using the ferry figure in the time to get there and your still looking at a full day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom