Diving Course in Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

newtodive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

Finally, I will have time to go back to Malaysia February, 2005. I want to do my open water course in Malaysia. Since February is still the monsoon season, I am thinking of the end of February.

I am asking for a great place to do the course. Please suggest any great instructor or dive shop in peninsula Malaysia. I am thinking of Tioman, please provide exact information you think is good and awesome!!!

Thank you for your help, I am very looking forward to get certified!

newtodive:
Hi all,

Finally, I will have time to go back to Malaysia February, 2005. I want to do my open water course in Malaysia. Since February is still the monsoon season, I am thinking of the end of February.

I am asking for a great place to do the course. Please suggest any great instructor or dive shop in peninsula Malaysia. I am thinking of Tioman, please provide exact information you think is good and awesome!!!

Hi Newtodive. February is still not too favourable as the weather conditions are unpredictable. Besides, most resorts located in the Eastern Malaysian Peninsular Cost (including Tioman) will only commence business in Early/Mid March. To dive in the month of March, one has to be above the novice level as the ocean is still very choppy. A better place that would meet your expectation is Sipadan/Mabul area. A top ten !!! Happy diving.

I'd also recommend Tioman Reef Divers, they've got a good outfit there

Feb might not be too bad. I've been there before in the first two weeks of Feb and had nice conditions. I've also been there in the summer and had very choppy seas so, like all dives, it's the luck of the draw.

Check with the operators first and if you go with Tioman Reef Divers check to see if the restaurant will be open yet.

As regards conditions nearer your departure you can use these links to check the five day tides and weather for Tioman

Good luck with your course, have fun and dive safe
Cheers

orangeBloke:
I'd also recommend Tioman Reef Divers, they've got a good outfit there

Feb might not be too bad. I've been there before in the first two weeks of Feb and had nice conditions. I've also been there in the summer and had very choppy seas so, like all dives, it's the luck of the draw.

Check with the operators first and if you go with Tioman Reef Divers check to see if the restaurant will be open yet.

As regards conditions nearer your departure you can use these links to check the five day tides and weather for Tioman

Good luck with your course, have fun and dive safe
Cheers

Officially the Monsoon ends in early March and waters are calm in May, June and July. This has been the weather pattern for generations and has nothing to do with luck. That also explains why there is a peak and off peak rate!
P/S - there is no "Summer" in this part of the world!

Tim Wong:
Officially the Monsoon ends in early March and waters are calm in May, June and July. This has been the weather pattern for generations and has nothing to do with luck. That also explains why there is a peak and off peak rate!

Aye, I know but I'm just going by my experience and have had nice dives in Feb more than once. It may not be blue skies and sunshine but the seas have been good and vis was very good this year, better than some later dives and far better than the end of the season (end of Oct)

As regards Summer, that's just a throw back to where I originally came from but for clarity sake I meant May-Aug, the middle part of the Tioman season.

newtodive:
Hi all,

One of the best places to do a course that I came across on my diving travels around SE Asia was Turtle Bay Divers in the Perhentian Islands. I did my advanced open water and wreck diving speciality with Pavid at Turtle Bay Divers. He is the best instructor I have ever come accross, great manner and really cares about what you're doing. I couldn't think of a better person with whom to learn to dive! As for places in Malaysia, I don't think that its possible to get better than Sipadan Island. You can stay on Mabul island, which means you get to dive in both places.

Abopp:
One of the best places to do a course that I came across on my diving travels around SE Asia was Turtle Bay Divers in the Perhentian Islands. I did my advanced open water and wreck diving speciality with Pavid at Turtle Bay Divers. He is the best instructor I have ever come accross, great manner and really cares about what you're doing. I couldn't think of a better person with whom to learn to dive! As for places in Malaysia, I don't think that its possible to get better than Sipadan Island. You can stay on Mabul island, which means you get to dive in both places.

Abopp. Good to heard that you had a good time diving at Perhentian Island. Yes. Fully agree with you. Sipadan/Mabul is "the" place. Still working on that budget of mine for a trip there in the near future.
:eyebrow:

Tim Wong:
In general yes, but at the beggining of this year Zippsy went on the first trip of the year, very early Feb and had it rough as hell, i went the next week and was diving in a mill pond.

Hi Guys,

Thank you all for the suggestion. How about diving in Perhentian Island during the end of February? Is that possible, or would that be to rough for Open Water Course?

Thanks... Merry Christmas!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom