Diving Course in Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

newtodive:
Hi Guys,

Thank you all for the suggestion. How about diving in Perhentian Island during the end of February? Is that possible, or would that be to rough for Open Water Course?

Thanks... Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to you too.

Perhentian Island is located on the east coast of the Peninsular as well. Weather conditions would be the same as for Tioman in February (as highlighted in the previous posting). You may try the west coast of the Peninsular (namely Langkawi Island) but be warned that the visibility is not as good (average 15-20 feet) and not much marine life.

frogfish already gave good advice but I hope you're not thinking of taking a course on Sipadan. The diving is too good to waste time taking a course there.
pilot81:
Any places / dive shops to recommend at Sipadan?

frogfish:
can I suggest you do a search on Sipadan on this board ? You will find loads of information on the subject.

Actually a search on the board will give you a fair amount of recently outdated information (As of Jan 1). The Malaysian government has closed down all of the dive operations on Sipadan (e.g., Borneo Divers, Pulau Sipadan Resort, etc.). This is being done to protect the island from overdiving and also as part of an effort to have Sipadan classified as a UN World Heritage Site. While it is still possible to *dive* at Sipadan (with the numbers of divers limited daily), all resorts now have to be located on Mabul or Kapalai. Both of these are within an easy speedboat ride away. And both are great dive locations in their own rights.

It will be hard to find a place on the east coast of Malaysia that is likely to work out in February. If it has to be Malaysia, then Kapalai/Mabul/Pulau Tiga and other Sabah areas are your best bet. My suggestion would be that you do the confined water and theory training before you come to Malaysia and then use the "referral" feature to complete the open water parts here. This way you can avoid spending most of your holiday watching videos, sitting in a classroom, and practicing skills in pool or a sandy-bottomed bay. You will have probably 4 dives to complete your certification, and then be ready to go out with other resort guests for as many fun dives as your time allows. :wink:

Hi Newtodive & All Fellow Divers!

Well! It's true what others have told you. February might be a bit rough, but if you're coming back in Febraury towards the end, I don't think it's much of a problem. I have experienced rough & calm waters in February. I guess, it's up to individual to decide.

One of my favorite place is Tenggol Island, it's the Best Diving on the east coast of Peninsular Malaysia. The Asian Divers magazine even voted it, back in 2002. There, the water is rough most of the time, but you'll get great dives so it's still up to individual to decide. I won't recommend you to take up your OWD course there, but Redang will be a good place to do it. As an OWD, you'll be doing 4 dives to get certified and most of the time instructor will be choosing the dive sites suitable for students, therefore not much to worry about. Just remember, follow the rules & regulations. Safety comes first!

As for Sipadan, it would be a bit costly to do your OWD course there. Sipadan is definitely, one of the best diving destination in the world, but still I prefer staying in Mabul Island. Anyway, Mabul & Kapalai are the only places you can stay if you want to go to Sipadan, since the Malaysian Govenment have decided to closed down all the resorts in Sipadan. Mabul is the best choice if you decided to go to Borneo in the near future!

Well anyway! A bad day of diving, is still better than a good day at work! Happy Diving!

Ed.

Keep Those Bubbles Flowing! :scubadive

Pulau Perhentian in Feb is also not a very good idea....practically most of the islands in the east coast i.e. Perhentian, Tioman, Redang is having the end monsoon season, it would be better if you could do it in late March or early April.

Quero:
Actually a search on the board will give you a fair amount of recently outdated information (As of Jan 1). The Malaysian government has closed down all of the dive operations on Sipadan (e.g., Borneo Divers, Pulau Sipadan Resort, etc.). This is being done to protect the island from overdiving and also as part of an effort to have Sipadan classified as a UN World Heritage Site. While it is still possible to *dive* at Sipadan (with the numbers of divers limited daily), all resorts now have to be located on Mabul or Kapalai. Both of these are within an easy speedboat ride away. And both are great dive locations in their own rights.

It will be hard to find a place on the east coast of Malaysia that is likely to work out in February. If it has to be Malaysia, then Kapalai/Mabul/Pulau Tiga and other Sabah areas are your best bet. My suggestion would be that you do the confined water and theory training before you come to Malaysia and then use the "referral" feature to complete the open water parts here. This way you can avoid spending most of your holiday watching videos, sitting in a classroom, and practicing skills in pool or a sandy-bottomed bay. You will have probably 4 dives to complete your certification, and then be ready to go out with other resort guests for as many fun dives as your time allows. :wink:

Quero is absolutely right. Information is outdated. If you guys want the latest information (up to the latest) check with the locals. You may also get direct contact on up coming trips in and around the Malaysian waters. Participants in this forum range from Novice divers to Instructors. I'm sure they will be more than happy to accomodate your questions. However, mind the local slang that you may occasionally come accross. Try this link to contact locals on questions or advice about Sipadan/Mabul, Tioman or any other dive site location in and around the Malaysian waters -

http://scubamy.conforums3.com

See you there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom