Diving conditions in Key Largo / Key West in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As mentioned elsewhere, I have to go to Miami in January 2014 and as part of that visit have already organised a side trip to Cayman Isles to dive. It looks now like I can squeeze-in 3 or 4 more days of stay while still in Miami. I am considering driving down to the Keys and among other things try some more diving. I am keen to try the Spiegel Grove wreck etc.
My question is, are conditions going to be too diver unfriendly in January in the Keys?

No, we dive FtL and KL every dec/jan. Temps can be cooler and ocean state a little bumpy but if you can get out on a boat, the diving is amazing. We scootered the SG from bow to stern, top to bottom the first of Jan this year. Great wreck and a lot to see.

What are average water temps that time of year? May be down there this winter as well...

What are average water temps that time of year? May be down there this winter as well...

I looked back @ my previous dive reports for this past janurary and temps were 76-77F @25-100FT on the SG and molasses reef. this was a relatively warm winter in the keys so you could possibly encounter slightly lower temps(low-mid 70"s),,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

A couple yhears ago, I dove the SG in Jan and temps were a little cooler: in the 72 degree range. Jan can have really nice conditions or be terrible. Fortunately, there are other things to do in the Keys if marine conditions are blown out.

Thanks guys. Wife is looking at early November now...guessing it'll be slightly warmer... :)

January is hit and miss...a good "winter" day in the Keys can be awesome...clear blue skies, north wind is a good direction for smaller waves...OR...it can be gray skies and colder if a front has moved through. Call a shop that's honest, (Like mine I have to say Sea Dwellers Dive Center)...so you can get the real scoop on weather...we don't lie and I'm sure many other don't either!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom