Diving Concepts vs. DUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boogie711:
Cool - I stand corrected. In any event - my Z-Tech is brand new. I believe it's a new product for Diving Concepts and you're correct, it's almost identical to an Ultraflex Pro, but it doesn't come custom and it has a telescoping torso. Obviously, DC hasn't updated their website yet. And yes - I did buy mine from NTD in Kingston.

OK.. .I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they are better at Dry Suits than they are at Web site maintenance... The site is a bit confusing.. they don't even mention the z-flex with is pretty popular (unless they discontinued it).

Is this the one that is back entry only? I think that they may have offered the Ultraflex as a lower cost,non-customizable, back entry model...

Will call..

Mike

doctormike:
OK.. .I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they are better at Dry Suits than they are at Web site maintenance... The site is a bit confusing.. they don't even mention the z-flex with is pretty popular (unless they discontinued it).

Is this the one that is back entry only? I think that they may have offered the Ultraflex as a lower cost,non-customizable, back entry model...

Will call..

Mike

It's not back entry. Self-donning, with suspenders & bellows pockets. Like I say - pretty much identical to the Ultraflex Pro, but with a retracting torso.

I've got about 15 dives in on my Z-Flex and it's great. Easy self-entry, dries quick, and feels really durable. Inflate and dump controls are in just the right place. Feels a little heavy on the boat but once you're in the water you won't notice a thing ...

Ciao

Boogie711:
Cool - I stand corrected. In any event - my Z-Tech is brand new. I believe it's a new product for Diving Concepts and you're correct, it's almost identical to an Ultraflex Pro, but it doesn't come custom and it has a telescoping torso. Obviously, DC hasn't updated their website yet. And yes - I did buy mine from NTD in Kingston.

OK, just spoke with DC...

Ultraflex Pro and Z-flex are trilam suits. The z-flex is heavier cordura outer layer, telescoping torso, and not customizable. The ultraflex is lighter weight, customizable and has a polyester or nylon outer layer.

Z-tech is a tight fitting version of the Ultraflex...

Probably will go with the Ultraflex...

Mike

I think it is a tough call. I ended up with a TLS-350. I had a Viking Xtreme which I loved but it was getting a bit tight in the shoulders as I continue to lift weights so I got a custom. The swing for me is that I know a lot of people that dive DUI and have only seen the Diving Concepts once. I also got a great deal on the DUI. My understanding is that people left DUI and started Diving Concepts so they are basically clones with perhaps some style changes, but don't quote me on that. The only other thing you might want to consider is that DUI has been in business for a lot longer and you "possibly but not definitely" might have better luck getting a DUI serviced. I'd go with whatever I got the best deal on though and whatever you can get service on. I love my TLS-350 but can't say that I would not have liked the DC one just as much.

I don't have experience with either of the mentioned drysuits.

I am currently diving in an Oceanic Aerdura. I recently had the boots replaced (the ones on the suit were too big for me) and 1.5 inches taken off the legs. I love my dry suit. :07:

All my friends dive in Oceaner drysuits and love them as well.

diver_paula:
Everyone is going to have different experiences but mine is that all my buddies with DUI's have more leaks than everyone else. I'm not sure why but it's definitely why we call them 'Dry Until Immersed'.

Sounds like your buddies need to take a dry suit course or they are not taking care of their suits. DUI makes a great suit, which would explain why they are the standard to which all other's to compare to.

Back
Top Bottom