Diving Concepts vs. DUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK - let me jump in here.

First off - it's a "Z-Tech," not a Z-flex. I know - I have one hanging here beside me.

Secondly, it's almost identical construction wise to an Ultra-Flex Pro. The Ultra-Flex uses 1000 weight cordura, the Z-Tech uses 750. That's about it.

Both are comparable to a DUI 450, but not a 350. They're tri-lam, but rugged.

Boogie711:
OK - let me jump in here.

First off - it's a "Z-Tech," not a Z-flex. I know - I have one hanging here beside me.

Secondly, it's almost identical construction wise to an Ultra-Flex Pro. The Ultra-Flex uses 1000 weight cordura, the Z-Tech uses 750. That's about it.

Both are comparable to a DUI 450, but not a 350. They're tri-lam, but rugged.

Well, there definitely is (or was) a Diving Concepts suit called Z-flex- here is the review from Scuba Diving magazine:

http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/exposure_protection/high-end_dry/3/

Oddly enough, the DC web site doesn't mention Z-flex OR Z-tech! Will have to call them later today to clarify.

This is the Ultraflex page from the DC web site:
http://www.divingconcepts.com/ultraflex.htm

Doesn't seem to mention cordura, and the fabric samples that I saw didn't look like that either...

Maybe the Z-tech was a variation on the Ultra-flex pro that they don't make any more... google for z-tech (in various combinations) only turns up one site from a dive shop with no photo:

http://www.northerntechdiver.com/st...id=9+&Sort=name&searchtype=Category&offset=10

Still, seems like a good company from what I have heard... will post whatever I find after I call...

You guys are great... thanks so much for all the advice!

Mike

BTW - People will have different preferences, but I will never go with another cuff dump. I thought I would really like it and ordered it with my Diving Concepts suit after years using an adjustable shoulder dump. I've been contemplating retorfitting my current suit with a a shoulder dump.

I find the cuff dump more trouble to use. If I'm swimming along, simply raising my arm doesn't work. I need to get more vertical than that. & when I'm ascending from a wreck using a mooring line, air escapes each time I raise my arm whether I want it to or not.

Something you may want to get more input on / think about.
Paula

diver_paula:
BTW - People will have different preferences, but I will never go with another cuff dump. I thought I would really like it and ordered it with my Diving Concepts suit after years using an adjustable shoulder dump. I've been contemplating retorfitting my current suit with a a shoulder dump.

I find the cuff dump more trouble to use. If I'm swimming along, simply raising my arm doesn't work. I need to get more vertical than that. & when I'm ascending from a wreck using a mooring line, air escapes each time I raise my arm whether I want it to or not.

Something you may want to get more input on / think about.
Paula

Wow, I have never even heard of or seen a cuff dump... Do you mean close to the wrist? I assumed that even though you had a choice about placement, most people put the dump on the left arm just behind the upper part of the bicep. Have never had a problem with that configuration...

doctormike:
Wow, I have never even heard of or seen a cuff dump... Do you mean close to the wrist? I assumed that even though you had a choice about placement, most people put the dump on the left arm just behind the upper part of the bicep. Have never had a problem with that configuration...

Yes, close to the wrist. It's always open / no way to adjust the flow. To see one, go to the Diving Concepts website and then to 'drysuit options'.

I thought it would work better for me given my arms aren't very long. I had trouble reaching the shoulder dump out of the water to check it's position, etc. I could reach the shoulder dump once I was in the water and my gear fell into place but not always being able to reach it was an uncomfortable feeling.

diver_paula:
Yes, close to the wrist. It's always open / no way to adjust the flow. To see one, go to the Diving Concepts website and then to 'drysuit options'.

I thought it would work better for me given my arms aren't very long. I had trouble reaching the shoulder dump out of the water to check it's position, etc. I could reach the shoulder dump once I was in the water and my gear fell into place but not always being able to reach it was an uncomfortable feeling.

Hmmm.. I usually don't touch it... it's just set to autodump, and I adjust my trim by occasionally rolling to the right and letting it bleed a bit...

I have both shoulder and cuff dumps on my DC suit. I think the cuff dump can come in handy. There are positions (that are comfortable) that will stop the air from escaping from the cuff dump. I find it easier to control my ascents by using the cuff dump. But at depth, when I'm horizontal, I don't use it. I use the shoulder dump.

doctormike:
Hmmm.. I usually don't touch it... it's just set to autodump, and I adjust my trim by occasionally rolling to the right and letting it bleed a bit...

I'd shut it down some when at depth on a wreck and diving a mostly square profile.

doctormike:
Well, there definitely is (or was) a Diving Concepts suit called Z-flex- here is the review from Scuba Diving magazine...

...Maybe the Z-tech was a variation on the Ultra-flex pro that they don't make any more...

Cool - I stand corrected. In any event - my Z-Tech is brand new. I believe it's a new product for Diving Concepts and you're correct, it's almost identical to an Ultraflex Pro, but it doesn't come custom and it has a telescoping torso. Obviously, DC hasn't updated their website yet. And yes - I did buy mine from NTD in Kingston.

diver_paula:
I'd shut it down some when at depth on a wreck and diving a mostly square profile.

Yep.. I guess I would do that if it was bleeding too much.... but even on a wreck I have been ok with autodump so far...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom