Diving Chankanaab from ashore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi There,

Just another "yes" vote - it is actually a cool little dive. I did it a couple of times when we were there for two weeks last July. It has quite a bit of life - sea horses, stingrays. The tarpon patrolling the cave are cool. You'll have fun.

I can't remember the cost, but it must have been worth it since I did it more than once....

The discover dolphin experience will take most of the day, so you'll have lots of time to burn.

Chakanaab is a nice day at the beach

sharky60:
Always someone p**ing in the pool and making it harder on the majority who follow the rules

Yeah... goodness, I might need a DM to check my air or make sure I don't ascend too fast!

I looked and Sand Dollar wants $21 to dive there... dollar for dollar, sounds like better diving can be had elsewhere in Cozumel. I think we'd enjoy snorkeling just as much and not have to worry about lugging gear.

Yes... definitely there are better dives in Cozumel- no doubt! But since you have snorkelers with you, and seemed to want the beach also, it would be a nice compromise. I know from experience that snorkeling in deep water in Coz or over on the mainland is not nearly as enjoyable as in shallow water where you can see so much more. Also, in the cove you don't have near as many waves lapping over your snorkel, more fun for little ones, especially. $21 was a fair price for the nice dive including ceynote. We, like mikeyjoe, have returned to do the dive again, with snorkelers in our party it's just a nice place to go if you're trying to make everyone happy. The dm was a nice, low-key fellow, never felt like he was babysitting us, just guiding us to the sites.

I You're right, it is pricey but they have 3 different experiences ranging from $150 to $80 per person. Children under 8 can only do the least expensive one and ones under 5 are free with paying adult. So it's not too bad.

I guess we have different ideas about what's worth the money. I wouldn't pay $150 for one dive when I could do 4-5 tanks on the reefs for the same amount. But it is evidently worth it to lots of people. I hope you have a wonderful time, and give us a report when you return!

Does anyone have any more up-to-date information about diving in Chankanaab Park than what has already been posted here? My buddy and I will be in Cozumel one day soon on a cruise ship that arrives too late to make a boat dive. We are trying to decide whether it's worth it to schlep our dive gear along on the cruise. I wouldn't want to use rental gear except tank/air and weights. I'd like to know if there's much to see (not interested in underwater statues), and how reliable the on-site dive shops are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom