diving cabo san lucas versus diving La Paz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Nicolle,

Me and my girlfriend will be at Club Cantamar in La Paz from 6th to 13th of Oct. Diving all week!!! Can't wait to get there!

Well, I just got back from La Paz about three weeks ago and the diving is much much better than Cabo (I dove Cabo three years ago) in my opinion. The water in La Paz is also warmer. There are only a few sites in the Cabo area and they are about a 5-10 min boat ride from the shore. The life is decent with lots of fish, a few sea lions, a few regular white tips in the area, and some pretty cool rock formations. La Paz has many more sites (for those doing multi-day trips), TONS of life, sea lions, whale sharks, hammerheads (although we never saw any...lol), and the boat ride outs are like watching a discovery documentary (rays jumping out of the water, huge pods of dolphins, we even saw two blue whales!). Also, in between Cabo and La Paz is a place called Cabo Pulmo and the diving there is very nice also. I know you can sign up for a day trip to Cabo Pulmo from any of the dive shops in Cabo.

Good luck and let me know if you have more specific questions.

Vel525, I do have lots of questions...

I'll send you a private message since I don't want to hijack this thread...

I have also dove both. La Paz has much more to offer as far as diving goes. I loved the town of La Paz as well. Lots of great places to eat and just walk around. Cabo was very much a place to shop and party, so it may be better if diving is secondary to you. The dive sites in Cabo are much closer, but they don't compare to those in La Paz.

I having been trying to figure out that myself and finally decided on an area between cabo and lapaz they call East Cape. It is about 40 minutes north of Cabo. Staying at a place that offers diving called Bueno VIsta Beach resort.

We are heading to LaPaz the end of October, sounds like it will be a good adventure from what you guys are saying,,,, thanks. We are staying at Club Cantamar, have seen a couple not so great reports on it but diving is diving.

Diverdenise,

We are diving La Paz Oct 27 -30, Staying in town but diving w/ Club Cantamar. Maybe we will see you.

Sounds good, there will be four of us diving (3 girls, one guy) and an older lady snorkeling so maybe we can spot each other. Will keep my eyes peeled. Thanks

I dive Cabo regularly. I like it. There are plenty of dive sites, many of which are a short boat ride from town. However, this year the water is quite cold. I was there at the end of August. I took my traditional 3 mm suit and found it to be too thin. I ended up in 7mm and had a great time.

I agree with the general consensus here - Cabo diving is nice, but La Paz is incredible! It's one of my favorite sites in the world. There is nothing like looking up from taking a picture of a tunicate to see hundreds of hammerheads appear, or a manta dropping down for a cleaning! Not every dive is like that, but that's one of the cool things about the region. You never know who will drop by. The trips out of La Paz are longer, but worth it. Isla Cerralvo is spectacular and Isla las Animas is probably the best singular dive site I've ever encountered. I once spent almost a week diving Animas, 4-5 dives a day for research, and never got bored!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom