Diving Burnout?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lately I have started diving a a bit faster pace than earlier in the year, when I was sometimes only doing 1-3 dives a month, but I wonder if I'll ever get back to the pace (or even if I WANT to get back to the pace) I was at during my first year.

The use of the word "pace" is interesting to me... I notice variations of this a lot on SB... maybe its an 'old guy' thing... but I'm generally one who prefers "quality over quantity'... which isn't to say that, from time to time, I can find myself in a situation where its just all so darned much fun that I can't seem to get enough...

... maybe it isn't a question 'burn out of diving'... but more of a quiet desire to change your methodology??? :coffee:

Diving to achieve a certian number of dives is meaningless; to me anyway. If each dive is planned with a purpose, then one will not become bored.

Every dive, I plan on doing some aspect of it better than I ever have done before.

There was a great article on this board when I first joined, something like, "When you've blown enough bubbles". The point of the article was that, if your diving is always the same, you may eventually lose some enthusiasm for it.

Wow, someone read my article, The Borg Princess. I'm now afraid to dive the Mexican Cenotes (caves) for all the scary things in there.

Looking back over the last 38 years of diving, there are very few of my friends that still dive, Some diving friends have been diving longer than that. . . but there is a comon thread among long time divers. Enjoy doing what others won't do. I started spearfishing, spent a lot of time teaching, moved to underwater photography, fixing up a few marinas, finding lost things in the water, teaching a few new generations of divers. I've never been preassured to earn a living underwater, very hard to do. Always found good people who wanted to learn new skills, taught a couple of Underwater Explorer Scouts, who went on to the Navy Seals. Helped lots of divers get their first fish for dinner. And have remained a free source of information about our freshwater lakes.

This past year had fewer dives, Two hurricanes, downgraded to tropical storms, dumped heavy rains, with mud into our lake. Next year I'll be diving more, if the lakes are OK. I lost a speargun two years ago, when my partner had problems. I didn't dive there this year because of conditions. . . I'm sure I'll find it next year. . . I know the area, and few people still diving even dive within miles of a really great diving place. . . How did I find a special, but difficult dive spot? I've been to almost every spot on the lake I dive, I share the common areas and keep secret only a couple of spots.

Will I loose interest in future dives? Only if no more new divers will ask for help, or more experienced divers no longer want a fish fry, to drink beer with friends, and tell stories.

I think most of it is that I usually dive one of the same 2-3 sites, and do the same circuit, so it just gets old. I still get pretty excited over boat dives to new places, and to the one real decent recreational depth wreck we have here.
Alaska Air has some cheap miles seats for in-Alaska flights. Come on up to Anchorage for a weekend and I'll go diving with you in Whittier :)

Currently planning a 3-tank day on December 27th. Come on up :)

My excitement A.D.D. has kicked in and now I'm looking into gyroplanes. lol Will always dive though. Gotta eat.

I was wondering about burning out... I got certified in Feb this year and am up over 100 dives by now, all local so a few people have asked 'aren't you sick of it yet?'. It is about a 3hr round trip to go diving, and the conditions are often a bit crap so a lot of people stop diving completely over winter but I've managed to get out each weekend since April and through the week at night as well. And it is still not enough diving! :) Also there are heaps of places overseas I want to see (and being in warm water is something I would like to experience :) ). Also there are still dozens of sites locally I haven't dived yet so I doubt I will bored for a long time. Diving is the most enjoyable hobby so far I have experienced and I must admit I am a bit obsessive about it! I haven't really had any other hobby that lasted more than a few months, other than keeping caudates (so I have had one of them for a few years). I guess computer games too, but I don't tend to play one game more than a few months and playing them has dropped off a fair bit since I started diving...

I want to dive wrecks eventually and that will take a while to work up to, so there are plenty of things to keep me occupied diving for a while. As TSandM said, working on skills is something to keep one motivated, I know it does me anyway as well as all the other reasons.

However, if I get burned out eventually, its no big deal. Just a hobby so if you get sick of it, no reason to continue. Well I guess if I get sick of it I would hope I have gotten enough use out of the equipment I have spent a lot on :rofl3:

I can say the same thing has happened to me. After I was certified I dove anytime I could and anywhere I could. Most of the dives were rivers and lakes but I didn’t care. I was offered a job at a LDS that I bought all my gear from. At first I was extremely excited but the owners did horrible business and went through employees like candy! It really burnt me out. I hated going to work or even talking about diving. Luckily I found another job, now I've got the itch back and started to do a lot of spear fishing on the Oregon Coast and Traveling! It will come back to ya!

Greetings bdshort the burn-out bug always comes around when seasons change. Have no fear just do not force it! Do some research; read a diving book, listen to a pod cast, change your diving routine, or take a break. What I have found is helping train new divers has added much to my enjoyment of scuba. I have made some great friends this season and keep in contact with them often. What I am starting to see is a core group of divers forming who are "friends" that dive. Don't get me wrong I love to dive but when I don't feel like it we can still hang out and enjoy each others company.
This year I had the opportunity to take my wife and kids diving / snorkeling more than normal. This for me was huge and was the best part of the season! It is what you make of it, don't sweat it!
I have just come off a 3 week diving break, I took my kids hunting (their first deer season)! It was a great time with them but a tough,long time to not go diving!
I was overjoyed to help with a Discover scuba today!!!! On my birthday to boot!! Yeah!
We are in a constant state of evolution as individuals as well as divers. The only danger is when we stagnate, just find something new to keep it real!
If you have $$ and time....live aboards rock!!!! Besides sandy beaches, sun, blue water make everything more tolerable! Thats why I live in IN huh?
I am one of those strange people who love water. Mud puddles call out to me to jump in! Sorry just trying to get you laughing!! Be cool, it will get so much better soon!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I haven't read the other responses yet so I hope I'm not repeating.

If you're feelilng bored do something new. That's the main antidote to burn-out.

Here's a couple of ideas:

- You're a rescue diver. Contact your LDS and see if you can play "victim" either in the pool or in open water for new rescue students.

- Go on a guided dive and take someone completely green as a buddy.

- Take a trip

- Explore an old site in a new way. Maybe take a submergable metal detector with you on a site you dive a lot or set up a little project for yourself like mapping it.

- Explore a new site that you havn't been at before.

- Take a specialty.

- If you usually take a camera, leave it at home. If you usually don't take a camera take one with you.

- Make a few dives using just tables and a bottom timer.

- Help out in the pool by making videos of divers in training.

- If you usually need a compass to find your way at your local dive site then leave it at home and try diving it by "natural" navigation, assuming it's safe to do so.

- Possibly consider getting into teaching, if that's your thing.

- .... or even help someone else with *their* project....

Just to name a few. I think I could go on like this for a while but the important thing is for you to brainstorm your own list.

As for pace, everyone will find their own pace. Downtime is important too. I stopped diving in the winter here because the water gets down to about the freezing point. I don't really enjoy that very much so I started climbing (indoors) with my dive buddies in the winter. The down time does wonders for my motivation. By the time spring comes, I'm chomping at the bit and it even motivates me to *want* to make a few dives during the winter months.... There's no shame in taking downtime....

Hope this helps.

R..

Gosh, I just wish I could dive till I got burned out! or halfway there! The reason i don't dive as much as I'd like has nothing to do with not wanting to. It has to do with obligations in other quarters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom