Diving beyond cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing is inadvertently going beyond cert, the other is intentionally doing so. Some countries it is forbidden by law,

Please name these countries then. I do not know of any that it is forbidden by law.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll plan accordingly and be prepared with my buddy to ascend if I start getting uncomfortable. I didn't plan on this being so controversial.

Its not controversial. If you are comfortable and pay attention to your SPG you will be fine. Some people over react to a diver with not so many dives going deeper with other experienced divers. Enjoy doing your AOW and maybe also do nitrox at same time.

Just remember you can decide to come shallower or end a dive at any time. I've called dives before people got in the water.

Have fun and let us know how your dives went.

What is "Beyond Cert"?

PADI OW, AOW, and recreational specialties train to 40m and no planned decompression.
PADI TEC 45/50/55 add diving beyond NDL to physiological limits. TEC trimix and TEC deep are essentially "specialty" courses for the TEC 45/50/55 series.

What more "limits" are there?

What is "Beyond Cert"?

PADI OW, AOW, and recreational specialties train to 40m and no planned decompression.
PADI TEC 45/50/55 add diving beyond NDL to physiological limits. TEC trimix and TEC deep are essentially "specialty" courses for the TEC 45/50/55 series.

What more "limits" are there?
It's "self imposed" limits.
Personal responsibility has gone to such a low level that we are afraid of anything out of "ordinary".

By this line of thinking, you can start reb diving just like that without training. Or wreck. Or cave. Or even better! Why not extrapolate this thinking to other areas of life? You can start flying an airplane without training because they mean nothing. You have to admit that wasn't the best advice you can give a stranger on the internet...

By this line of thinking, you can start reb diving just like that without training. Or wreck. Or cave. Or even better! Why not extrapolate this thinking to other areas of life? You can start flying an airplane without training because they mean nothing. You have to admit that wasn't the best advice you can give a stranger on the internet...

In the USA certain classes of aircraft don't require anything beyond a driver's license.
Is it smart to fly one without training? Probably not.
But the risk to others (much like scuba) is low so the responsibility rests with the person involved in the activity.

But the risk to others (much like scuba) is low so the responsibility rests with the person involved in the activity.
I'm sure that many of those lost, drowned, searched for scuba divers who died were really pleased that no one looked for them or found them, since they were loners with only personal responsibility and no one else was involved, not the other passengers on the boat, or other divers at the site, or even family. That is the nice thing about scuba...no on else is involved in your private, egotistical behavior. /s

The "certification limits" are nothing more than recommendations from a training agency. In the US anyway, they have no force of law behind them.

Really, the only limitations on how you dive are defined by your own risk profile. "How likely am I to die on this dive and am I OK with that level of risk" is the only meaningful question. If you don't have an answrr to the first part of that (How likely?), then more research is in order.

Nothing we do is safe. Every single thing we do has the potential to kill us and eventually something will. The question for each of those activities is "Is this worth the risk?". Scuba diving is no different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom