Diving Bari will be complicated for awhile

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The closest access to Bari is buddy’s, I think, unless you’re staying at Sand Dollar, Den Laman or Chogogo. The Bari parking lot was blocked in early March. Re. The SCTLD, this is from STINAPA:

Coral Disease Update - At this moment we are seeing a coral disease outbreak on various reefs. The speed in which this disease is moving and the amount of corals being affected and dying is alarming. We advise all marine park users to disinfect their gear before and after each dive day and limit dives to only one area of the island per day. Meaning each day only dive the North, Town, South, or Klein Bonaire. And avoid diving in the infected areas.

📍Coral Disease Map: https://arcg.is/1eCTD80
🧼 How to Decontaminate Your Gear:

Dive Friends just posted this on Facebook:

𝗦𝗧𝗔𝗧𝗘𝗠𝗘𝗡𝗧 𝗥𝗘𝗚𝗔𝗥𝗗𝗜𝗡𝗚 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗥𝗔𝗡𝗖𝗘 𝗧𝗢 𝗕𝗔𝗥𝗜’𝗦 𝗥𝗘𝗘𝗙​
We, Dive Friends Bonaire, would like to address some concerns that have been raised recently regarding our location at Sand Dollar and Den Laman Condominiums.
The temporary closure of the public entrance to Bari's Reef is due to the construction of a public park in the area. It's important to note that the construction of the park is executed by the government (OLB), so any questions regarding the build should be directed to OLB.
We would like to clarify that as a dive operation, we operate out of leased facilities, we are not the owners of the property. Seaside Ventures owns both the property and the dock, which are private and intended for the use of Sand Dollar and Den Laman guests and owners. We would like to emphasize that as a dive operation, Dive Friends Bonaire does not have the authority to set rules and regulations regarding the premises of Seaside Ventures. We only enforce the policies necessary according to the terms of our lease, to use the premises of Seaside Ventures.
While the dock is private, we have been granted permission to use it for our dive courses and boat diving activities. However, we do not have permission to allow our guests to dive on Bari's Reef through the premises of Seaside Ventures.
We understand that this situation is inconvenient and disappointing. We appreciate your continued support and understanding.
Although we regret the fact that Bari’s Reef is currently blocked due to the construction work by OLB, we would like to emphasize that we have other beautiful house reefs, such as Hamlet, Delfins, Dive Inn and Yellow Submarine, that are open for both our guests and non-guests to explore and enjoy the breathtaking marine life.​

Thanks @tursiops

The dock at Bari reef has been private for a long time. My wife and I started using the dock in 2004, when we stayed at Sand Dollar and dived with Bonaire Dive & Adventure. For all of our recent visits, we have stayed at Den Laman. Bonaire Dive & Adventure operated their boats from the dock, as Dive Friends does now.

It is unfortunate that the public access to Bari Reef has been disrupted due to the park construction between Den Laman and Chogogo.

So we are staying at Den Laman now and I'm trying to figure out just who has access to the facilities and for what. If we are staying at Den Laman, can we use the facilities, dock and gear room, regardless of where we rent our tanks? If someone rents tanks from Dive Friends here, can they use the facilities, like the dock even if they are not staying at Sand Dollar or Den Laman? If we are diving Salt Pier, for instance, and storing our gear in the gear room, can we just rent from another dive operator?
We have always stayed at Sand Dollar or Den Laman and used Bonaire Dive & Adventure or Dive Friends. So, we have always used the gear storage room, the pier, and tanks from the pier for diving Bari.

If you are staying at Den Laman but not using Dive Friends, I'm not sure how it would work. Getting tanks from another Dive Friends facility and staying elsewhere does not give you access to the pier, tanks on the pier, or the gear room.

I'm afraid you will have to inquire within Dive Friends Sand Dollar/Den Laman to have your questions answered. Perhaps you could share the answers. Good luck

1685025419157.png

Any updates re: access to Bari Reef from Den Laman ?

We are planning a trip in April 2023 for snorkeling on Bari, which we've never been able to access......so we're hoping that renting at Den Laman will guarantee access., despite the new park construction.

I messaged Dive Friends today to ask if we could use their dock and rinse tanks for access as snorkelers staying at Den Laman and they said yes.
Hoping the SCTLD does not get worse in that area.

Hi @DiveFans

I assume you are going in 2024. People staying at Sand Dollar and Den Laman have always had access to the pier. If you are divers, using Dive Friends, you will have access to the gear room and tanks on the pier. As snorkelers, you will have access to Bari Reef from the pier. We had a snorkeler with us in 2019 and she accessed Bari from the pier with our diver son.

I've been asking for updates on the park construction, but have not gotten back much useful information.

Hi @DiveFans

I assume you are going in 2024. People staying at Sand Dollar and Den Laman have always had access to the pier. If you are divers, using Dive Friends, you will have access to the gear room and tanks on the pier. As snorkelers, you will have access to Bari Reef from the pier. We had a snorkeler with us in 2019 and she accessed Bari from the pier with our diver son.

I've been asking for updates on the park construction, but have not gotten back much useful information.
Thanks for the feedback !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom