Diving at the Georgia Aquarium?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjb160

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I heard you can pay to dive at the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta. Has anyone done this, know someone who has done it, or have more information about this?? The GA Aquarium is the largest aquarium in the world and has amazing exhibits. I once saw a diver in the main tropical exhibit, but I think he was either cleaning or feeding the fish... either way, it'd be such a cool experience!

$290!!!!! Did I read that right?

Yikes!!!

To they send a limo to pick you up???

YEP! It's pricey. I prefer to dive with them in their environment. I did the La Paz trip last December and swam beside juvenile whale sharks (similiar to the size of the sharks in the aquarium) and assisted in their research with tagging, DNA sampling, and measuring. For the 5 DAYS I spent in the water with them, it was the best experience! Shark Research Institute- Expeditions I would highly recommend this type of diving trip! For the money, I got alot more for my buck! See some of my pics in my gallery.

Happy diving!
Carolyn:sharks:

$290!!!!! Did I read that right?

Yikes!!!

To they send a limo to pick you up???

yep and it's only a 30 minute dive for that almost $300 bucks.

but it is about the only place that you can dive and be guarenteed a dive with a whale shark, even if it's in captivity.

I think most folks will have the same reaction that you did... but apparently some people like spending that kind of money.

WHOA!!! That has got to be one of the most expensive single dives... ever!

For the 5 DAYS I spent in the water with them, it was the best experience! Shark Research Institute- Expeditions I would highly recommend this type of diving trip!

It does sound like a great experience. Plus, it's for a good cause, unlike chasing whale sharks in a confined space. I guess I should build up my SCUBA experience and look into that. Thanks!

It does sound like a great experience. Plus, it's for a good cause, unlike chasing whale sharks in a confined space. I guess I should build up my SCUBA experience and look into that. Thanks!

Actually all you have to be is OW. Also, no diving with juvenile sharks, they are very skiddish of bubbles, so we snorkeled. They were on the surface eating so it wasn't too hard to keep up with them. We were under very strict understanding of how to work with them in small teams limiting our contact to a short time. We did not want to interrupt their feeding. Most allowed us to hang with them and do what we needed to do. It was an incredible experience. Everyday after we finished with the sharks, we headed to a diff dive site to get some bubble time in. For 7 days, 6 days of diving, lodging, which included meals, and air, with airfare I spent about 2K. However, a portion of my trip was tax deductable since this is a nonprofit group. Needless to say, it was a dive vacation I will never forget. The pic of me with a white pole measuring stick was with MY SHARK TANGO. He swam me in circles which was very entertaining from the boat I was told. He, as is all the sharks we tagged are up for adoption. We tagged 15 total and had sharks everyday. The money from that goes to their continued research and protection. There is still so much we do not know about these beautiful creatures! This organization along with many others allow divers to volunteer with the research teams. It's a great project to do with a dive club or shop, or even a family trip!
2132512430_9e0bdf3406_m.jpg
2543670780_468f077bcc_m.jpg

2542845169_e6879a3fc1_m.jpg
2542844959_9d4dee020b_m.jpg

Happy diving with my shark beauties!
Carolyn:sharks:
We had a great photographer on our expedition. Some of the really clear pics were taken with his 15k dive camera!

Last edited:
Wonder how much it would cost to just BUY the whale shark?

I guess I'll just look at them from the other side of the glass.

actually I think a single dive on the B-29 in Lake Meade cost a little more.

Wonder how much it would cost to just BUY the whale shark?

you want to buy a live one or a dead one?

the Georgia Aquarium has had several of their whale sharks die since being introduced to captivity.

Back
Top Bottom