Diving at P. Weh, Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_cat_keeper

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I wonder if anyone has been to Pulau Weh, and if you have been to Pulau Weh, did you take any anti-malaria pills?

Thanks...

Never been there, not safe for me as Indonesian, may be okay for tourist. The site may be good but not listed in Kal Muller's book - Diving Indonesia, A guide to the world's greatest diving. And I dont think cost to go there less than to Bali or Manado even from Singapore.

Yes, been there and the pelagic diving is very nice, with big currents, plenty of mantas and in the right season Dec- Apr, whalesharks. The reef life is not all that great and there is bombing but you get some big stuff. But that was in 1999 and 2002. It is very much a backpacker's place, like the Gili Trawagan off Lombok. Fly from Medan to Banda Acheh and go directly to the island. Don't be adventurous and take the bus. I did and had 2 AK47s pointing at me. I speak bahasa and they aren't interested in foreigners per se. I'd go back but there are plenty of places I want to go back to and Weh is pretty far down that list.

Pulau Weh and most part of West Indonesia including Java is categorized as low malaria endemic. East Indonesia (papua) is categorized high endemic. Only few big city such as Jakarta are zero endemic.
So, in my opinion is not really necessary, same as if you want to go to Bali.

Wisnu & Scubashooter,

I certainly hope I would be able to contradict you when I come back! :)

I've never heard of Pulau Weh... a friend of ours have Pulau Weh as one of his favourite diving locations. Anyway, if nothing else, it should be memorable to be ushered into the new year under water.

Thanks...

Pulau Weh was great when I was there just before the curfew began. I flew from Singapore to Medan
Medan to Aceh
Aceh to Sabang Pulau Weh. Flying over the town and seaport of Aceh.

Was not hassled by any security or police. The locals were extremely friendly and I had a great time diving with Lumba Lumba at Gapang Beach.

Gapang Beach is further from the dive sites, but it is a more family oriented atmosphere. I know Lumba Lumba is still there after the curfew.

Ibioh is quite the opposite. Not sure how many dive operators are left at Ibioh after the curfew. Was told some are gone.

the_cat_keeper:
Wisnu & Scubashooter,

I certainly hope I would be able to contradict you when I come back! :)

I've never heard of Pulau Weh... a friend of ours have Pulau Weh as one of his favourite diving locations. Anyway, if nothing else, it should be memorable to be ushered into the new year under water.

Thanks...
I hope you do too. The diving is very nice there and the security situation is a bit exaggerated by the press. However, there is a curfew and there are soldiers with guns around with ego problems. They tend not to bother the foreigners too much. Lumba Lumba as David says, should be still around and you should contact them BEFORE flying there.

Well, Lumba Lumba is the dive operator that we've gone to! :)

One of the guys have already reached P. Weh and it seems that while the journey was long, it wasn't too bad. The immigration officiers he met were friendly and helpful. There are some divers at the resort and seems like the majority is from Singapore.

Good luck, I am happy hearing that. Hope the situation much improve now not only for foreigners - or as Javanesse I am too paranoia. Thanks if you can then post the journey not only about the marine life.

Hi, Wisnu,

Sure, will post some info about P. Weh when I come back (Jan 2, 05). A local dive shop owner told me today that diving at P. Weh is still pretty good. I hope I am not getting my expectation too high! :wink: Anyway, as they said, "a bad dive is still better than a good day at work!"

Back
Top Bottom