Nusa Penida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frogfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello Indonesia experts,

After five years I am finally going back to Indonesia again this summer. Seems that there has been lots of development on Penida, and wondering if it makes sense to stay there ? For instance two fish have setup an outfit.

I have only seen Penida from the boat when commuting from Padangbai to dive manta point , crystal bay, PED etc.

Any advice/ experience would be very welcome :)

Hey frog, I was in Nusa Penida about a year ago for about 2 weeks. I have only been diving there and Tulamben, Bali so I can't compare it to other parts of Indonesia. I've been diving a fair amount in Asia and I thought the corals in NP were spectacular. Mostly hard corals but a decent mix of soft as well. Lots of great small fish, no sharks, but good success diving Manta Point 2x. Probably 5 mantas the first time and many more the second time. Bad news is day boats come from Bali and MP gets packed. Most other dives I saw no other groups, just my small group. I dove with Deep Roots, a new yoga and dive resort. I know the owners from Thailand, where they were my divemasters a few years back. There was a LOT of current, including cross currents on some dives. I was warned about currents that pull you down. Overall I liked NP quite a bit, and I will go back to Indonesia, but I think I'll head for Raja Ampat or Komodo next time. The people in NP were super friendly and helpful, I liked them very much. Any specific questions, let me know.

Hey frog, I was in Nusa Penida about a year ago for about 2 weeks. I have only been diving there and Tulamben, Bali so I can't compare it to other parts of Indonesia. I've been diving a fair amount in Asia and I thought the corals in NP were spectacular. Mostly hard corals but a decent mix of soft as well. Lots of great small fish, no sharks, but good success diving Manta Point 2x. Probably 5 mantas the first time and many more the second time. Bad news is day boats come from Bali and MP gets packed. Most other dives I saw no other groups, just my small group. I dove with Deep Roots, a new yoga and dive resort. I know the owners from Thailand, where they were my divemasters a few years back. There was a LOT of current, including cross currents on some dives. I was warned about currents that pull you down. Overall I liked NP quite a bit, and I will go back to Indonesia, but I think I'll head for Raja Ampat or Komodo next time. The people in NP were super friendly and helpful, I liked them very much. Any specific questions, let me know.
Unfortunately you are so right about the day boats coming from bali..
This made me look for other opportunities on my next trip, where im heading for the raja ampat islands

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom