Diving around Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding Scuba Shack, likely your first dive will be Reef's End at Molokini for 40 minutes, then Five Caves (a shore dive) for 40 minutes. They do these same two sites nearly every day. The owner is also well known for his very public rant regarding peeing in wetsuits, and a few other things...

I would second Extended Horizons if you want to stay on the west side. I did used to work there, so I'm a bit biased. They ran the best charters of anyone I ever worked for though.

-Chris

I guess I will throw my .02 cents :D

My wife and I dive in Maui every fall. I have used 4 operators and have not had an issue with any of them.
My go to favorite is B&B.... love the fast boat, early start, and the boat staff ( Dave is my favorite)

This year I plan to dive mostly with B&B, Lahaina with Lahaina Divers, and Mike Seivers to try someone new.
I want to try the scooter dives this year, depending on how hard they are to use/operate

Russ

I have to add to the Extended Horizons recommendations. They have the only 100% biodiesel boat, small groups, complimentary DM to show you all the cool stuff, leave out of Lahaina and go out of their way to teach you about the areas you will be diving and all the species you will see. The Cathedrals are a must-dive. My wife and I dove with them two years ago and were surrounded by multiple pods of Hawaiian Spinner Dolphins on our first dive...it was amazing. We are headed to the Big Island on Saturday to do the Manta dive and back to Maui next week for more dives with Extended Horizons.

Other than that, we shore dive all week. Slaughterhouse, Kapalua Bay, Mala Pier and Makena Landing are our favorites. We always stay in Ka'anapali and rent tanks from Maui Diving Scuba Center. You can buy a 10 tank card for $40 and they don't expire so we never have to worry if we have tanks left on the card because we know we're coming back.

Have a great time!

I know you are looking for a charter. Shaka Doug does shore dives out of Kihei. He has gear and tanks, but has a very nice personal touch. Maybe consider going one day with him.

Thanks for the awesome recommendation! We always try to have a fun time. If the shore line is a bit murky, it also helps to get 1/2 mile off shore to some isolated satellite reefs with the scooters.

Some great beach dives on the west side where you are staying, I do lots of scooter dives etc up there all the time!

I dove with Lahaina Divers two years ago and I must say it was very convenient if you are staying in Ka'anipali. They are the only dive company I know of that leaves out of Lahaina Harbor. They provided excellent service and the trips to Molikini crater and Lanai were very enjoyable. I am looking forward to doing the molokini backwall this year.

Back
Top Bottom