Diving Around crescent city?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aussie82

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be visting Crescent City in Northern California next week and was wondering if there was any diving around the area. Are there any boats that charter around that area? Dive shops?

I looked online and didn't really find anything in crescent city.

Thanks,

Aussie

Good luck in finding something, Aussie. I'm unfamiliar with that area so can't be of any help. Wanted you to know you weren't being ignored though, I'll actually do a little searching. Hope you have a good trip!
edit: did a little searching, looks like air fills can be found in Eureka, 1.5 hours from Crescent City, and there is some diving around Trinidad.
You may want to look into something/anything in Southern Oregon, that may be just as close as Eureka.

I know there is a scientific dive program at Humboldt State University in Arcata California which is about an hour south of Crescent City.

I'd check with them for local info. You should find their contact on: Humboldt.edu

Some people dive the Crescent City Jetty. There is a bit of information on diving the jetty here:

Crescent City Jetty

Generally speaking, diving this area brings limited visibility, and can easily get down to faceplate (diving by braille) after it rains due to runoff. I dove the Crescent City area some time ago, however can't remember the exact location (it wasn't the Jetty).

Another option is to dive the Smith River, which is not far from Crescent City (less than 30 minutes). Many Southern Oregon classes go here due to the great visibility and depths to 50 feet. One popular spot it nicknamed "Wagon Wheel" or "Early Hole". You can find a brief description of this dive site here: Rogue Scuba's Favorite Dive Sites

Last edited:
Pacific Quest Dive Center. Juan is the owner/operator of the shop. It is on the south side of CC. US-101 at Elk Valley Road. Does refills and has a nice shop. However, he is also an instructor, call shop before showing up.

Pacific Quest Dive Center. Juan is the owner/operator of the shop. It is on the south side of CC. US-101 at Elk Valley Road. Does refills and has a nice shop. However, he is also an instructor, call shop before showing up.

I did some free diving there last June. I also found it helpful to call the shop before heading over. Juan's hours are a little flexible, there just aren't many divers up there.
The area I dove was maybe a 1/2 mile North of the light house and there was good structure. At the time I had about 10'-15' of vis.

I hope to go back soon with boat in tow and explore Pt Saint Georges Reef.

Have fun.

I haven't dove Pt. St. George but I hear it can be very challenging. Very exposed, wicked currents, plenty of marine mammals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom