Diving and teaching in east Thailand, quiet place. Non-commercial use only.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It always amazes me the attitude of some so called professional instructors and work permits.

You take some one (non Professional) diving for either a fundive or course,they have an accident for whatever reason,You are working illegally you are liable.

If they have insurance they will chase you and possibly take criminal action in your country of origin.

If its you that get bent or has an accident and you are found to be working illegaly,the insurance co will not pay out leaving you liable for evac re compression etc etc.

Up to you stick your head in the sand.

I doubt that. In Thailand there is no law for diving. I can be dive guide without any certificate and if something happend, it was bad luck. just the illegal working might be a problem. It is the same as if I guide some Dutch on a mountain, if they fall and die it was their problem not mine as guide, as long as I showed them privat the mountains for a refund of my expenses without having a company, office.......
Everyone can go with everyone diving, as long as it is private (sharing costs).

As i said up to you ..stick your head in the sand.

As a professional diver active and registered you may be liable as a duty of care issue.

Insurance company's will not pay out..I have had hands on experience with this.

My point is many people believe that as they are in Asia its not a problem.utter BS.

I can be dive guide without any certificate and if something happend, it was bad luck. just the illegal working might be a problem.
Everyone can go with everyone diving, as long as it is private (sharing costs).
As you mention, the lack of a workpermit will be a problem.

And if you're a diving professional, you always have a duty of care, whether you are a paying guest on a boat or working as a guide.

It is the same as if I guide some Dutch on a mountain, if they fall and die it was their problem not mine as guide, as long as I showed them privat the mountains for a refund of my expenses without having a company, office.......
Have no idea about on land guiding, but that job is not allowed to foreigners in Thailand, so no way you can get a workpermit for that. I can imagine though, that if you were a professional in that field there also would be a duty of care issue.

I know it gets very theoretically. If you are an Instructur, diving privat with your buddy and something happens you won't be in troubles if an accident happens.
My guess is Thailand won't be very kind on the point what is till a hobby and what is commercial, if you are a farang. As long as there are no problems noone will care about it. But if someone needs some expensive treatment and his insurance tries to find a reason why someone else should pay than it is time to move in the next country.....

Back
Top Bottom