Diving and non diving travel insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I use the DAN Annual Travel Insurance in addition to the DAN dive accident insurance. We do a fair amount of non-dive-related travel, and the DAN Annual covers all if it.

You may wish to consider the following dive insurance package which covers not only the diving component of the trip but the trip in general.

Definitely worth a look and you'll find the premiums cost effective also.

Scuba Diving Travel Insurance

View attachment 516482
Checked into this insurance company---they will only cover those under 65 years old---I'm 71 SOL I guess.

Checked into this insurance company---they will only cover those under 65 years old---I'm 71 SOL I guess.

It's not medical insurance but is repatriation and maybe a few other things. IIRC it's good to 75

Medjetassist.com

I got DAN insurance before my first liveaboard two years ago. Before that, I consistently got World Nomads, which is travel insurance that has scuba either covered or can be added with their Explorer upgrade. The Basic sometimes covered scuba already, so no upgrade needed. This was dependent on the policy they were offering at the time. Four weeks of coverage was a little over $100, so not much really. The insurance is only for when you're 100 miles or more from home, so you're better off with DAN if you dive local too.

I got DAN insurance before my first liveaboard two years ago. Before that, I consistently got World Nomads, which is travel insurance that has scuba either covered or can be added with their Explorer upgrade. The Basic sometimes covered scuba already, so no upgrade needed. This was dependent on the policy they were offering at the time. Four weeks of coverage was a little over $100, so not much really. The insurance is only for when you're 100 miles or more from home, so you're better off with DAN if you dive local too.

Don't they have an age cap? I know that they're quite popular with younger backpackers and digital nomad etc. but quite curious as to how they actually handle a situation/emergency.

I used to buy extra travel insurance through my cc that had awesome coverage and good rep on dealing with emergencies but I aged out.

Now I'm a member of AMA which is the equivalent of the US's AAA, and can buy great coverage again. I say great coverage based on my understanding of what they say they'll do for me but as yet have no proof. Of course, I always carry DAN's highest available pkg available to Canadians.

Don't they have an age cap? I know that they're quite popular with younger backpackers and digital nomad etc. but quite curious as to how they actually handle a situation/emergency.

I used to buy extra travel insurance through my cc that had awesome coverage and good rep on dealing with emergencies but I aged out.

Now I'm a member of AMA which is the equivalent of the US's AAA, and can buy great coverage again. I say great coverage based on my understanding of what they say they'll do for me but as yet have no proof. Of course, I always carry DAN's highest available pkg available to Canadians.

I think there is an age cap, but it's like other insurance, in the 70's.

I've had yet to file a claim, so have only relied on anecdotal reviews I've seen online as to how well they handle claims. They seem legit enough. I would consider them more like a broker, as the policies are underwritten by the common insurance companies you would find. I think of them as a more personable interface to the underlying insurance company, should something happen.

Here in Australia, 85% of travel insurance claims are paid out and most that aren’t are just due to confusion with policy. I’ve never had a claim denied (though about to submit about $10000 worth of claims so we will see how that goes). Even when travelling to North Korea (and using a different, cheaper provider than normal), I had claims paid out no problem for relatively minor things of which I had little proof.

My insurer has a crystal clear disclosure on what they do cover and their scuba diving coverage is thorough and included on the default policy.

What’s Covered
  • Overseas medical expenses for sudden illness or serious injury while scuba diving
  • Medical evacuation to the nearest facility for treatment
  • Treatment in a decompression chamber if required
  • Scuba equipment is covered under the policy up to $700 when not in use (Pay premium for more expensive gear)

What’s Not Covered
  • Scuba diving without a licence when not under licenced instruction
  • Racing or taking part in a professional sporting activity
  • Intentionally exposing yourself to a needless risk or not taking reasonable care except in an attempt to save a human life
  • There is no cover for any hired equipment, so ensure you are appropriately insured through the rental company.
  • Any search and rescue expenses
  • Medical expenses in Australia
  • We do not cover sporting equipment whilst in use nor when it is left unsupervised in an area where the general public has access to it or where it can be taken without your knowledge.
Conditions

• You must be holding a valid scuba diving licence and only dive to the depth you are licenced to dive.mIf you do not hold a licence, you must be diving under licenced instruction

DAN seems quite pricy so I wouldn’t pay the extra when I get all the cover by default, and travel insurance covers everything else from broken cameras to monkeys breaking into my car to steal my nuts.

I believe there are 3 insurance things we need to worry about:
- trip medical
- trip interruption
- trip cancellation
These are different concepts but often a single policy will combine several or all 3, often with poor cancellation coverage - I can't go because my (wife's) dog (aunt, mother, sister? pick one..) died.

I claim trip medical coverage is the most important. What does heart attack treatment cost at your destination?

Scuba as an activity does not often hit the insurance radar - unless your policy excludes it as a dangerous activity (think hang gliding or car racing...). Any scuba screwup treatment is covered by most sane medical policies. Scuba is not special.

You need to read the fine print of your policy. I had "free" credit card insurance that only provided trip interruption for health reasons. No cancellation coverage, or interruption for non health reasons. Not really useful trip interruption if you are healthy when you think it through.

The financial aspect of the insurance is of course important but when you have DAN insurance- they also get you where you need to be under what can be some very trying conditions. It is not like you can call 911 if you are in some remote area of the world and someone will come get you and get you to the proper medical facility. Getting a proper evacuation is critical to regaining health after an incident.

Long ago I called dan about insurance because of what I had heard regarding dan not paying for issues related to foreign countries.

When you talk to them you have to get definitions of what is classified as a out of country location. The result I got from dan was that in the gulf or carribean if you eave form the US you never leave the US per their coverage. If you leave from a foreign country you are out of country. That meant theat every dive you take from a cruise ship booking is not considered a foreign country. If the dive boat sinks it is in the US. If you book your own directly from a shore based shop then you are diving from a foreign country.

This may have changed since years ago but worth checking prior to buying. THIS IS JUST INFO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom