Diving and Nails?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZenDiva:
ok...I wear a forever french nail tip, but I've found after a weekend in the pool that this may not exactly be something that works well w/ diving...I mean they are strong, I've never had issues w/ them slinging iron in the gym....however...if water gets underneath there could be an issue w/ green mold or a fungus....caused by trapped water...

do any of you get your nails done? I hate my hands w/out them.........:(

Fungus should definately be a concern. I worked with a girl who wore acrylic nails for several months (not sure how long, exactly). She finally had them removed to find she had no natural nails left at all. Her fingers looked like stubs & the areas where nails had been looked disgusting. It took them awhile to heal & I don't think her nails ever grew back. She didn't dive or swim so for her it wasn't even a matter of constantly being in water....just normal, day to day wear.

scubachick01:
Fungus should definately be a concern. I worked with a girl who wore acrylic nails for several months (not sure how long, exactly). She finally had them removed to find she had no natural nails left at all. Her fingers looked like stubs & the areas where nails had been looked disgusting. It took them awhile to heal & I don't think her nails ever grew back. She didn't dive or swim so for her it wasn't even a matter of constantly being in water....just normal, day to day wear.

This is an abberation, and should never happen if your nail tech and salon use proper sterilization and application procedures. You HAVE to make sure you are using a reputable salon!! Don;t be afraid to ask questions- and stay FAR FAR away from the nail "chop shops" that exist in every mall and shopping center, and also from nail boutiques where the nail techs wear masks (often idicates they are using an inferior and dangerous chemical).

I used to get silk wraps with a french manicure. I stopped it back in September. I was taking fundies class and decided that I didn't want to be more concerned with my nails than my diving.

I always carried glue for when the wrap started to delaminate from the nail. I miss them. They are still long, about a medium length, definitely workable, but I miss the way the polish would last and last. I'm going to look into doing acrylic atop my nail. I don't want tips or bamboo shoots shoved between my nails to pop them off. ICK!!!!

DiveMe:
I get my nails done...I have the pink and whites so I have a french tip with no paint. I have never had any problem with them diving and getting water trapped under them or fungus growing. I do tend to wear them shorter than I used to though since I don't want to risk a break while handling gear.

This is what I've been getting done since I"m in florida...they explained to me something about the humidity...I'm just realizing that once my pool work is over with I can then have nails again....I normally keep a sport type length too long and I dont' want to risk an injury when loading and unloading 45/lb weights from the machines in the gym

Thank you All for your input

*smile*

pennypue:
I don't want tips or bamboo shoots shoved between my nails to pop them off. ICK!!!!

They should NEVER NEVER NEVER pry the tip (or acrylic) off your nail- this damages your nail bed. Acrylic and tips can be easily (and painlessly) removed via soaking your nails in acetone- it takes about an hour.

chickdiver:
They should NEVER NEVER NEVER pry the tip (or acrylic) off your nail- this damages your nail bed. Acrylic and tips can be easily (and painlessly) removed via soaking your nails in acetone- it takes about an hour.
Well that's a better solution. All the women I knew that had them done had them popped off. I just flat out refused. Besides, mine are long on their own, I just need to keep them from breaking.

Anyone know anything about what I heard referred to as gel nails? I just need something on mine that makes them a little stronger (I abuse them :)) and holds the polish better.

pennypue:
Well that's a better solution. All the women I knew that had them done had them popped off. I just flat out refused. Besides, mine are long on their own, I just need to keep them from breaking.

Anyone know anything about what I heard referred to as gel nails? I just need something on mine that makes them a little stronger (I abuse them :)) and holds the polish better.

Prying the acrylic off is a specialty of "chop shops"- as is using the dremel tool. I don't know much about the gel nails- but I'll ask my roomie (she's a nail tech).

chickdiver:

Just thought the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for acetone might be good reading:
http://www.bu.edu/es/labsafety/ESMSDSs/MSAcetone.html

Pete

i dont grow my nails nemore, it's bothersome especially when I had to pull my wetsuit up, you need all of your fingers to do it, plus when I have to carry my big bag, dang, I cannot afford to poise my fingers anymore, have to grasp it with both hands!

I've been getting acrylics for 15+ years now and I 2nd EVERYTHING chickdiver has said.

I get them pretty short for work and while a few have broken while diving.... nothing a file can't cure for the moment.

I now have gel nails and like them better than the acrylic. They do seem to break less and barely ever "lift" I have gone 3 weeks with no "lift" at all.

Back
Top Bottom