Diving and motorcycles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Noboundries beat me to it. You have plenty of pulling power so get a trailer and protect your gear and yourself while getting the job done with style. It makes toooo much sense. In the home the trailer would double as lockable storage for your gear. You would only be limited by your own imagination.

Here you go...........just strap the tank on your back, though----maybe in the BC on your back???
mbt2b.jpg

Can't see the point in a trailer. Might as well get a small car, which would be more secure, convenient and would use way less fuel.

But then motorcycling to me is about one of three things - outright speed and acceleration, sublime intuitive handling, or go-anywhere ability. Clearly not all at once. If I choose to use a bike to go and indulge another sport then I must be able to indulge at least one of my principal m/c goals. Otherwise I'll use a car. If I ride very gently (which I don't) I can maybe get 33 mpg (US "g") out of my bike, but my car easily yields 40+. There has to be an offset in pleasure.

Go in style with a side car. Trailers are for old fat men on Goldwings.

Go in style with a side car. Trailers are for old fat men on Goldwings.
:crafty: I am none of the above ... well 'cept the oldish part. Sidecars are a pain in the arse to drive though. You ever run with one on your bike? Hit a corner wrong and HELLO!!!

On the serious side that much weight, a tank especially, on my back while I ride wouldn't be comfortable. Doing like jagfish says with a Rubbermaid storage tub strapped to your posterior would get the job done in a low budget not so fashionable fashion. You'd have to wear a helmet so's no-one would recognize you on the way cuz your cool factor would be in the negative with that one.

Found this on Google. Looks like he's wearing his BC, and most likely the other gear is stowed in his bags. Side bags would be a great help ...

scuba%20tank%20motorcycle.jpg

but hey this minivan looks very well equipped ...

scuba-van.jpg

ehhh ... or maybe put your gear in the back seat of this bike?

monotracer-1.jpg

I'm pretty sure strapping a rubbermaid daypacker on top of the back seat isn't such a great idea. Something about having easily over 1k worth of gear strapped on to the rear seat with rope going down the interstates says bad news... Though I can't quite put my finger on it.. =)

I'm fine with renting tanks and weights. Its just that I like using my own mask, fins, regulator and B/C. I know my mask and regulator will easily fit into my backpack right now. But I'm not sure if I like the idea of a rental BC unless they've got something with integrated weights or swimming with normal fins. Maybe a dive backpack with side pockets for fins is the way to go.

I'm pretty sure strapping a rubbermaid daypacker on top of the back seat isn't such a great idea. Something about having easily over 1k worth of gear strapped on to the rear seat with rope going down the interstates says bad news... Though I can't quite put my finger on it.. =)
Been doing it for 5 years now. All dive sites I use are at least an hour away on the interstate, though our speed limit is about 10 miles an hour less here than in the US.

When I have light loads, I use bungee, heavier loads require strapping with the tightening hardware (forget the name now, I'm forgetting my English).

We have a lot of delivery services that use motorcycles exclusively here and they use a similar setup, but with a locking case. For more security, you can put a rack that would be a more stable platform.

Surprisingly stable for me, though. I went down near my house once when we had 10 cm of snow and the daypacker stayed in place. Unstrapped the daypacker, set the bike aright, then strapped it back on, and got back on the road....

Since we have so much traffic here, taking the bike to dive sites is a really conveneince when I don't need to take other people's gear, or other people...

using bungees to secure anything to a motorcycle is stoopid. I was at the BMWMOA National rally a few years ago when a guy had a bungee hook come loose and swing around right into his eye. He lost the eye- and his ride home was over. Not a good way to strap things to a bike- that's right STRAP things. Use some form of strap and the compression to hold things in place. Even better are the straps that incorporate a length of webbing covered rubber- they give great security. I'd get a duffel with a rigid bottom (or add a piece of plexi to make it so) and strap it across my seat with all the gear in there. I don't think hauling a tank is a great idea- if you're a Mythbusters fan, you know why.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom