Diving and Cosmetics article

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I did Fundies, the woman who videotaped for us came to class beautifully made up . . and came to the video review session also beautifully made up. I asked her WHAT she was using, and she told me Sephora waterproof mascara. I haven't been brave enough to try it myself yet, though, because it's my experience that when stuff melts and runs into your eyes, it HURTS. So that might be a subtopic -- What can you wear that isn't going to kill your eyes if it does dissolve in the water?

I pretty much do the same thing every day whether I am diving or not...
We get called the "lipstick divers" but so far haven't been laughed OFF the boat.
I don't really mind what the men say too much...I mean look at their feet for god's sake, I'm not taking their advice anytime soon.

I love the hood with conditioner, myself.

talk about getting laughed off the boat...and "Something About Mary" snide remarks.

catherine96821:
I pretty much do the same thing every day whether I am diving or not...
We get called the "lipstick divers" but so far haven't been laughed OFF the boat.
I don't really mind what the men say too much...I mean look at their feet for god's sake, I'm not taking their advice anytime soon.

I love the hood with conditioner, myself.

talk about getting laughed off the boat...and "Something About Mary" snide remarks.

EWWWW HOBBIT FEET!!!!

I wear contact lenses so I don't wear any eye makeup while diving. If I didn't wear contacts I still wouldn't wear any makeup but that's just me. I love this stage in my life where I'm not so self-concious about my skin anymore.

A good moisturizer with sunscreen is about all I wear, and definitely lip balm. To expand on the hair moisturizer bit, my hairdresser told me that if you wet your hair with regular tap water before you go in the pool or ocean, it keeps the salt and chlorine out of your hair. This is extremely good for chemical-treated hair. The reason being, the hair is already saturated with water so it doesn't absorb the salt and chemicals. So if you put moisturizer on, wet your hair first with tap water, or bottled water.

I don't like waterproof mascara, it's too hard to get off.

Certain types seem to be "in-between" they don't run off but they stay on good enough. Make-up has sunscreen and doesn't burn my face...if I use straight sunscreen it burns really bad, I don't know why but it really kills me.

I realize this is sort of off topic but many divers have years of sun damge and the TCA peels that doctors do actually prevents skin cancer by removing any pre-cancerous "invisible" lesions and so does daily use of Retin-A, according to the dermatologists I see. Of course, you have to use sunscreen. I think this stuff is very cutting edge and "current" and would make an interesting read. Preventing skin cancer is major, for me because I spent 8 years in the Caribbean and 15 in SoCal before here. So...I have years and years of exposure.

I guess since you are getting paid to write an article on cosmetics you are obligated to put a topic in place regarding mascaras. I too have pale eyelashes (okay, white) and mascara is what I wear day to day, but I don't wear it on dives. Lipstick and a regulator just don't mix in my opinion.

I think what you put on your skin depends on age of the person and climate in which they live. I'm 40 and moisturizers are important for my skin all the time. When cold water diving I absolutely have to use a rich moisturizer on my skin or I get a chapped face. When warm water diving, I use a somewhat thinner moisurizer on my cheeks and forehead.

I would strongly recommend that women of all ages use sunscreen in- between dives and put it on an hour before exposure to the sun. (Yep, even in an overcast situation). Lubing up while you are in the sun defeats the purpose of the sunscreen. After all an SPF is the amount of protection you get as you would get for being in the sun without any protection for an hour. There are so many sunscreens now that are meant for the face which are non-greasy and can be worn under your everyday makeup.

Karibelle:
would "hair care" count? i've seen several divers slather their head with conditioner before putting a hood on... they tell me it helps keep your hair healthy in repeated exposures to salt water...

kari

.lol...bet Kojak never had a hair problem after dives..........

I am still looking for a sunscreen that doesn't end up melting into my eyes while I dive. I have to wear a hat and NO sunscreen on my face on the boat so that I don't spend the entire dive with my eyes all tearing and itching. Any ideas would help.

Karibelle:
Do you wear a hood in the pool? As my hair gets longer it gets more and more damaged from the diving... I'm considering trying the conditioner thing, but would have to wear the hood, right? (probably a good idea anyway, as I get cold in the pool!) As for chlorine drying out the face, MeToo! it's much worse in the winter, when after the pool session we have to load the van in the cold, but still bad when it's warm outside.

kari

p.s. I'm looking forward to the article!

Nope, no hood. I put lots of conditioner on my DRY hair, it looks and feels "slimy" when I'm done gooping it on. It's so slick my pony tail holder slide out sometimes :D I rinse it out after the pool session, believe it or not the stuff is still thick in my hair after almost 2 hours in the pool.
Ber :lilbunny:

Perhaps I have no business posting on this forum but there is a terrific product for divers and snorkelers called "Seasafe". It is a sunscreen available in different SPFs that actually protects against jellyfish stings. It works! Not sure if it works with every species, but it seems to have been well researched and it has been on the market for awhile. I am of Scotch-Irish descent so I need to use sunscreen anyway. Even in a full wetsuit I put this stuff on my ears and face (I don't wear a hood) and any other exposed skin (hands, ankles). I have never been stung, knock wood, even when there were tiny stingers in the water and everyone else was getting a jellyfish 'rash'.

You won't likely find it in cosmetic shops but many dive shops carry it.

I am not associated with the company that makes this, just trying to be helpful.

Thomjinx

Back
Top Bottom