Diving and Cosmetics article

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

girldiverllc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I've been asked to submit an article for one of the magazines that I write for on "Diving Cosmetics". I have a "stand-by" waterproof mascara article that I could send, but wondering if there are any "cosmetics" or "skin care" issues that would be more interesting...

So...if you've any questions regarding diving and cosmetics or skin care...please submit. (Yeah, I guess you'd call this writers block...)

Thanks...

When I dive in cold water I've found that my face gets red/dry anywhere that's not protected by the mask or my drysuit hood. I have to bring a moisturizer along for post-dive use or my face hurts.

That's the only thing I can think of that's even remotely related to the topic.
Ber :lilbunny:

would "hair care" count? i've seen several divers slather their head with conditioner before putting a hood on... they tell me it helps keep your hair healthy in repeated exposures to salt water...

kari

Karibelle:
would "hair care" count? i've seen several divers slather their head with conditioner before putting a hood on... they tell me it helps keep your hair healthy in repeated exposures to salt water...

kari

I do this in the pool (use the cheapest conditioner I can find) and it seems to be working. Come to think of it the chlorine dries my face out really bad too.

Cosmetics and Diving.

Pre-dive- Put on a light coating of your moisturizer with spf included that you use. Very useful in repeated dive days, and cold water days.

Avoid eye shadows unless you just think you have to wear it, and them only creams, don't use any with Mica (sparkle/frost types) as it can get in the eyes and irritate. Eyeliner comes in several waterproof formats, just remember that once you hit the water all that perfect smudging and effort can get smeared once you surface and wipe your eyes. Avoid the problems and go au natural.

Blush, you won't need it.

Lipstick? If you insist, use the type that is 2 part, one part colored epoxy :wink: the other is the gloss. Personally I just use Burt's bee balm and I think it has a hint of color. Other options are out there, use the ones that have spf 15 in it.

Foundation? You have got to be kidding. Besides, the perfect complexion just draws attention to the booger hanging from your nose post dive. :) If someone just feels so self concious about their skin, then don't use the department store brands, use Dermablend. It's a waterproof, special makeup used to cover scars and port wine birthmarks.

Good heavens, if I tried to wear makeup while diving, the boys would laugh me off the boat! ;-)
But skin care would be a good topic, if that fits the request. Whether cold water or sun and salt water, diving is hard on skin, especially skin "of a certain age." And lips too.

Astara Yellow Flame mask. It fixes wind burn and over dry skin overnight :)

Actually, I am a big fan of the Astara line alltogether.

Ber Rabbit:
I do this in the pool (use the cheapest conditioner I can find) and it seems to be working. Come to think of it the chlorine dries my face out really bad too.

Do you wear a hood in the pool? As my hair gets longer it gets more and more damaged from the diving... I'm considering trying the conditioner thing, but would have to wear the hood, right? (probably a good idea anyway, as I get cold in the pool!) As for chlorine drying out the face, MeToo! it's much worse in the winter, when after the pool session we have to load the van in the cold, but still bad when it's warm outside.

kari

p.s. I'm looking forward to the article!

drl:
Good heavens, if I tried to wear makeup while diving, the boys would laugh me off the boat! ;-)

That would happen to me too! :)

I'm one of those people whose skin and hair responds well to salt water. I've just returned from a salt water trip and my hair & skin are nice & soft, I love it! I don't use moisturizer because my skin is very oily. Lip balm and sunscreen are pretty much all I need for diving. If my hair gets tangled & matted during the dive day, I wear a ball cap over it and when I get home I condition the heck out of it -- works great.

Chlorine makes my skin burn and itch for days.

For me, makeup and diving don't mix. I like dive days and dive vacations because I don't have to bother with makeup application and removal, it's so nice for a change.

I like the suggestions so far. I don't think I could extend it to hair care (as she pulled the mascara one off of my site...and requested it...) but I think that I could meld a "minimal makeup and skin care" article together.

I'm a red head...so without some eye definition, my eyes disappear. So, I've always worn a bit of eyeliner and mascara...but not in the same way that I get "made-up" on land. My water "foundation" is sunscreen...and "lipstick" is a moisturizing balm. The sea gives me a healthy glow...so blush is not necessary.

I do dive with one gal who wears pretty heavy eye makeup...and amazingly, it all stays in place. She even wears colored lipstick...and it stays.

During my trials with the mascara, there were a few dives where I came up looking like a raccoon...but it was in the name of science, so it was ok.

Keep 'em coming....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom