Diving and climbing mountain next day?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So tomorrow I will do two dives in morning around 15m depth average, finishing around 1130am.
I was wondering if I could climb a mountain the following day around 4am start climb and the top would be at 5600ft or 1717m.
The base of the mountain is 3300ft or 1000m.

And we would be there around 4am
1. Airplanes are pressurized to around 7,000 feet of altitude, so that is what DAN's recommendations assume.
2. DAN says you can ascend 2,000 feet immediately.
3. You will be ascending first to 3300 feet after 16.5 hours. According to DAN, you are right on the edge of being safe for flying, which is ascending to about 7,000 feet of altitude. You aren't even that far off from their safe ascent recommendations immediately after diving.
4. You will not be ascending immediately to altitude. You will be off-gassing every minute you are ascending. How long will it take you to get to 5,600 feet? I would assume it will take more than 1.5 hours, at which point you would be good to go to 7,000 feet per DAN guidelines. Your slow ascent is like doing a decompression stop, which will help you even more.

None of what I wrote in item #4 has been studied, so none of it is certain. As for me, I wouldn't give it a second thought, but that is my body, not yours.

As long as you don't fall in the volcano you should be fine. :) I think boulderjohn summed it up nicely.

A 2200 ft climb over reasonably easy walking conditions is not that strenuous for someone who's fit, but it's definitely some real exercise. Sounds fun.

Yes but air will be thin as you hike higher, so your body will strain either way. Fun variable to throw in.
If we were talking 3000m or more, yes. Not gonna happen at 1700m.

Source: I'm routinely there.

To avoid this situation, I did the other way around. I hiked up to Kilimanjaro (5895m / 19341') first and then dove in Zanzibar afterwards.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom