Diving and climbing mountain next day?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitro91

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So tomorrow I will do two dives in morning around 15m depth average, finishing around 1130am.
I was wondering if I could climb a mountain the following day around 4am start climb and the top would be at 5600ft or 1717m.

Would this be ok?
So it'd be about 16 hours till the start of the climb ?

The real question is where is your starting altitude for the climb and when will you arrive there? If you drive up 1000ft or more to the base to sleep right after the dive you will be pushing a limit.
If you end the dives at 4pm then arrive at the mountain base at 4am you'll be pushing the recommendation.

Diver Alert Network (DAN) recommends minimum 12 hours after a single dive single day. 18hours after multi-dive for single or multi day before flying or ie. increasing your altitude.
Overall though if you call and ask them, they'll always tell you 24 hours is their true recommendation.

Keep in mind though strenuous exercise (ie hiking grades) can increase bubble formation, which means you'll want to avoid it or increase your surface interval time before going to altitude.

I'd do it, but that's just me.

16 hours is plenty much IMO (and note this IMO please) for 15m dives. Unless each dive is 5 hours long of course. But for any "normal" dive ~1h I wouldn't worry.

But again, that's just me.

Yeh last dive would be out of water around 11-1130am and probably arrive at base of volcano around 4am next day.
I think it's an easy walk not so much a climb so I would say strenuous is the wrong term to be used here

what altitude is the volcano base at ?

Also if you are Nitrox certified using enriched air would help with off gassing as well even if you dont need it for bottom time.

If you finish the dives at 1130 and use EAN 32 you'll probably be desaturated by 4 am. I don't have my tables to hand but you might check it out and see.

Yeh last dive would be out of water around 11-1130am and probably arrive at base of volcano around 4am next day.
I think it's an easy walk not so much a climb so I would say strenuous is the wrong term to be used here

Yes but air will be thin as you hike higher, so your body will strain either way. Fun variable to throw in.
I think though you should be fine, plenty of time to off gas.

The base of the mountain is 3300ft or 1000m.

And we would be there around 4am

The base of the mountain is 3300ft or 1000m.

And we would be there around 4am

You're going to start an ascent to altitude before reaching 16 hours. Subtract the drive time and call that your SI.
None of us can tell you you're going to get bent or not, neither will DAN. They could advise you better than us.
The No-Fly time is not a hard number or a law of science. It's a conservative estimate based on case studies.

Some of us will tell you you're fine. Some of us prefer to take a full 24 at all times.
Some of us jump in the car, hit the ignition and immediately shift and drive. Some of us do a walk around and look at all the pretty dash lights going off before shifting to drive. Both drivers can get into accidents. Good divers get bent even when following Tables.
What I'm saying is there's no solid answer.

If you're looking for some piece of mind just give them a ring. They're really nice on the phone.

Divers Alert Network <- link to international numbers; call the general #

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom