Diving and alcohol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beautybelow:
Just out of curiousity, what are your views on drinking one or two beers between or before diving. I know what my opinion is, but I have to deal with this more than I would have guessed. I would not do it nor recommend it.

Not a good idea......
I do admit to having done so in the past, but really it's not a wise thing to do.

I don't know what Liveaboard company it is, but their rule is, NO DIVING AFTER DRINKING. They will allow you to snorkel, but no diving.

Personnally, I agree with it. There are just too many things that are too important (like surfacing alive) that I am not willing to risk by having any alcohol in me.

meesier42:
I don't know what Liveaboard company it is, but their rule is, NO DIVING AFTER DRINKING. They will allow you to snorkel, but no diving.

=======================================

They may not be the only one ...but onboard the Nekton boats, "your first drink of alcohol is your last dive" for that day. Never forget a Nekton cruise in the 90's when a group of 8 - 10 French Canadians showed up with a case (no exaggeration) of wine for the week. They had wine with every dinner and did not participate in any of the night dives.

Here is a thought for anyone in the mood to get really smashed the night before a dive.

I was on a jury for a trial of a young lady who got smashed (not her version, of course) one night. She went to sleep and then got up the next morning to set off for some kind of an appointment. She thought she was fine. She went the wrong way on a freeway and killed a guy. Her first comment to people on the scene expressed disbelief that she could still be drunk--after all, she had had a night's sleep.

He blood alcohol content, many hours after she stopped drinking, was still way over the legal limit.

Only ONE case (6 bottles?) for 8 - 10 people for one week? Seems pretty low. We Canadians have an image to maintain. Perhaps I'll stir the pot a little bit and ask the OP, American or Canadian beer? :eyebrow: Big difference there.

Regarding myself, I'm fairly conservative, and would not indulge during the day, but I would not hesitate to enjoy a pint or two in the evening even if diving the next day. If ten years in the Army taught me nothing else...

Cheers,

Todd

On boat trips I hold off drinking until I am done diving for the day. Then I usually "reward" myself with a cold beer...but only because most boats don't have a good '86 Merlot.:wink:

When my friends and I get done playing a game of basketball, some of them pull a beer out of the cooler and play the next game. Beer does not quench my thirst during or after sports. Same thing with diving. Gatorade is my preferred re-hydrator.

On the coffee thing....gotta have it before I dive...optional choice afterward. Blend: Hawaiian Hazelnut in California. Kona on Maui.:coffee:

Heard this one after a first dive.

"I was so hungover that a conch outran me" It was good for a laugh, unfortunately the guy looked like he was telling the truth.

No one has mentioned hungover divers puking underwater, it can be done but its dangerous.

Yup, no diving after drinking not even a beer for me, but I can honestly say I'll go for a swim or snorkel after drinking, just don't want to be a bad example to people around me. Or be responsible if something happened to them and they had seen me do it first, just a generally bad idea. As to drinking the night before, if its in moderation and your not hung over in the morning and your fully hydrated, not so bad as long as its not a high stress diving enviroment.

Cheekymonkey:
Yup, no diving after drinking not even a beer for me
According to your profile, you're 20. :no

Overall, my view is no drinking and diving. I've never had a drink before a dive or during a surface interval. I pretty much stick with water when I'm doing any sort of multiple-day dive scenario.

However, and for me, this is a big however; I go along with Catherine on the overdoing of 'zero tolerance' about just about everything these days. Do I think having a beer during a surface interval is a good idea; for me, no. But I'm not everyone.

Clearly, I can't think of a situation where alcohol would benefit a diver. There is no good reason to drink before a dive in my opinion. But adults should make their own decisions.

Would I dive with someone who had a beer prior to fins in? I'm not sure, it would depend on a lot of variables. I dive with people who are on medication; who may not have had enough sleep; who may be in the throes of emotional turmoil, all of which may affect their diving and decision making. I evaluate each of those situations and then make my decision.

As a DiveCon, I would absolutely NOT allow anyone who had been drinking to dive in any party I was leading. If I were involved with a dive boat, same thing; if for no other reason, the liablilty issues. I believe that was the genesis of this thread, so it is worth addressing.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom