diving alone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I teach buddy diving and team work in the classroom.

In the real world when I dive I shoot a lot of pictures and move slower than anyone in the groups I dive with. So I wind up diving solo about 95 percent of the time. This is not a problem I'm use to it and quit comfortable with my skills and equipment. I made a number of night dives in zero vis doing S&R work. The only way I knew I had a buddy in the water was if I could reach out and touch him. It's just something that I'm use to doing and I know that I am the person who is ultimately responsible for my safety.

TheDivingPreacher:
Sometimes

I just failed your test....oh well... I guess someone has to run the place...

When I look back at the experience levels of some of my "buddies" I too fear I may qualify as a solo diver. Oh yeah and there are those occasions when I do dive alone.

Solo diving is Heaven!

That's why I call it Soul O Diving!

Oct. '03 - Night dive, 103ft for 55mins, Rio de Janeiro Maru, just me and the wreck, Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

Not my fault the other three guys decided to go to bed.

Peace, utter peace!

Seadeuce

I agree to comments by Stirling (#39). Diving alone is nothing you should brag about but also nothing so objectionable... as long as you fully understand the risks you're taking, including some unexpected physical problems. As mentioned, however, it may take a lot of experience to see what risks there might be. Excessive self-confidence may be another risk factor by itself, but hey, it's your life :wink:

Personally, I don't feel comfortable to go totally alone. However, it happend to me before that, when paired with a stranger on the boat, he didn't care about his buddy at all and we even exited from the water separately. I wasn't bothered much since there were other divers from the same boat around including the dive master. Plus, after the first 10 minutes, I decided to enjoy myself instead of spending time looking for him. So I can say that diving with buddy doesn't mean you're totally secured or anything, either.

BigboyDan:
I see dead people.
I see their posts! :D

I used to solo a lot, now almost never. Locally, there are almost always people to dive with (whose feelings would be hurt if I didn't call them). When I go on vacation, I usually end up soloing. Besides the daily boat dives, I'll probably end up doing some solo beach dives in Coz this May, until my dive buddy joins me a week later.

Hey, BigboyDan! Here's one that you'll love. When I solo in Coz, I'll be diving with my BP/W and long hose (aka, poser-kit). :11:

Most of my shore dives in Maui are solo. My redundant air source is the surface, typically less than 40' away.

For me, solo diving has the advantage that the elapsed time between deciding to go diving and starting the dive is less than half an hour. I enjoy diving with buddies, but it doesn't work out for spur-of-the-moment dives.

Back
Top Bottom