Diving after lasik

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Torontonian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Someone asked about lasik in the middle of another thread, so I'll start one on this subject here.

I had lasik about 4 years ago. Before that I had heavy prescription, can hardly see the alarm clock numbers when waking up. I tried scuba many years ago, but could not see a lot. Did not enjoy it.

After the lasik, I could swim while wearing regular goggles, do all kinds of sports without wearing contacts. Two years ago while on vacation in Jamaica, decided to try scuba again, and loved it, got certified. Now I'm trying to do vacations in warm waters where I can scuba. Without lasik, I wouldn't have tried scuba again.

My vision is not 20-20, in fact it is 25-60 or maybe even 25-80. But apparently that is not unusual when starting from high prescription. I am quite happy with the result of the lasik. First two years the eyes always felt dry, and had to use natural tears. These last two years I'm fine. The first few weeks did feel halos at night, but fine after that.

More than 10 of my colleagues from work went for lasik after I did. Except for one lady, everyone just loved the result.

Torontonian:
More than 10 of my colleagues from work went for lasik after I did. Except for one lady, everyone just loved the result.

I think your last line illustrates why there is still considerable fear regarding the variety of 'laser eye procedures'. I'd love to shed my glasses, too, but considering what I do I need visual acuity at all costs. I agree that diving sucks when you can't see well...prescription lenses were worth every penny for my wife and I. Then there's always the issue of trying to find your glasses (assuming they're not under someone's tank) when you're on the boat.

Sean

If you don't bargain hunt for your surgeon and make sure that you're working with someone who's been doing it a while, the success rate is roughly 98% with the remainder not getting better than 20/40 with a hint of haloing being a "not successful" procedure.

I went to the top surgeon in my city as did other family members and a few friends and NO ONE had any adverse effects. My mother went back for a touch up, but that went well and she's now at 20/30 from having to wear contacts at diopter -8.75.

I was diving 2 weeks after my procedure :)

Rachel

I am seriously considering having it done but not for another year or two. But I have heard about the crystalens. Have any of you ever heard of anyone having it done? Results?? Right now I use my contacts with my mask, but I am going to have the Rx put in my mask, so I don't have to worry. I just hate wearing glasses!

My eyes are now 20/20 and 20/15. I had a 3+ diopter astigmatism problem that went away too.

I had dry eyes for about one month, then any issues about my eyes went away. It's been fantastic in my experience. I was fortunate that I didn't have any haloing some people get with their night vision after Lasik.

One of the coolest things about my surgery is my health insurance company paid for 90% of the operation.

The procedure only ended up costing me $400! or....the cost of a good pair of prescription glasses.

shep

I had my eyes done 4 years ago. I had a fantastic outcome and think it was one of the greatest things to happen in my life.

I waited about six weeks after the procedure to dive. That is considered by many to be conservative.

Interestingly, I chose my doctors by the particular laser that they were using. At the time, eye movement tracking systems were relatively new in use in the US, and all, except for one laser, used the concentric masking systems. I studied a bit before chosing the one laser that had the movement tracking and also used the narrow beam matrix system. It also turned out that these doctors were the most experienced and respected in my area. (They did Horace Grant's, an NBA basketball player, eyes.) I paid a premium price, but have always considered it worth it. I haven't kept up with the technology, and I may be wrong, but I think both the movement tracking and the narrow beam systems are much more commonplace now.

Despite my thrillingly successful outcome, I still don't recommend others to do it. There is still a great risk, and unless you are aware of and willing to accept that risk I don't think one should consider the procedure. A bad outcome is a lifetime thing.

Kev's First Mate:
I am seriously considering having it done but not for another year or two. But I have heard about the crystalens. Have any of you ever heard of anyone having it done? Results?? Right now I use my contacts with my mask, but I am going to have the Rx put in my mask, so I don't have to worry. I just hate wearing glasses!

Make sure you understand all of the risks. My family has multiple optometrist and ophthalmologist in it, some famous in the field. I have seen people who, just because they didn't want to wear contacts or glasses, go for the operation. Now they can hardly see and can not drive at night. They says it is like looking out of a stained glass window or a shattered windshield. There is nothing that can be done for them. They did not go with a cheap doctor either, it is just a part of the risks which the doctor should tell you about.

I have to wear hard contacts to see, and I can feel every blink. Personally the risks are too great for me, but then I need corneal replacement and a laser\scalpel won't help and I am doing everything I can to avoid surgery. If I had to loose one of my senses, eyesight would not be it. Just make sure you understand what you are getting into. Get opinions from doctors who have no monetary interest in your decision. You need to make the best decision for you, not what was good for someone else.

Thanks for all the information. Although I hate wearing glasses, I would not be getting lasik for just that reason. I would seriously consider all the risks vs. rewards before I made a final decision. But I certainly appreciate your thoughts and experiences on the subject.

well, i'll be the voice on the other side. i had lasek (couldn't have lasik, previous viral eye infection) in may. stayed dry for 4 weeks. lasek heals much slower than lasik, and for a while i was 20/40 & 20/80 & a bit worried. this week, i was 20/15 & 20/20. no haloes, cloudiness, dry eyes, pain, discomfort, irritation, annoyances, bad juju, or regrets! though by going through duke, it was quite expensive - but the results are certainly worth it so far.

PRK...If you are planning to have an active lifestyle where your eyes might come in contact with blunt trauma (football) AND/OR high pressure (diving) PRK is the way to go. The reason is that during LASIK surgery you have a "flap" cut from your cornea, and then the tissue underneath that "flap" is then lasered, so to speak. This "flap" will never fully heal, leaving your eye less stable than prior to surgery. PRK, however, uses a laser to "re-shape" your cornea leaving no structural loss.

PRK:
More pain (but they give you better drugs :D )
More cost
More difficult to find
Longer recovery period (about 3-4 weeks for full healing)
NO PERMANT LOSS OF STABILTY

LASIK:
Less pain
Easy to get
Short recovery period (you will see better the 2nd day)
Permanent loss of stability (but for most people it will never affect them)

I went from 20/300 with an astigmatism to 20/15 perfect…and perfect night vision. As far as the cost I’m not sure, you wonderful tax payers footed the bill on that one :crafty: . It’s been three years since I had the surgery; zero problems with it, diving, skydiving or combat (Afghanistan).

Bruce
US Army, Medic

Back
Top Bottom