Diving after fractured vertebrae

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I crushed one vertebra two weeks before a scheduled dive trip. The Dr. told me that I could either have a vertebroplasty or NOT dive. Which do you think I chose?

Have they offered vertebroplasty as an option? I was mostly recovered after a week and felt 100% cured within 5 minutes of starting my first dive of the trip (I have always supposed that it was the rhythmic finning that loosened up any final spasms).

Either way, best of luck!

My dear departed mother-in-law had exactly that done after a bad fall. Osteoporosis meant that she wasn't going to fix that fracture by herself anytime soon. So they inject bone cement for a fast fix.

There are discs and nerves to consider. A fast fix is only as good as your doctor's luck/skill. For some, it is the only option.

Young athletic patient, nope... (TOTALLY internet advice)

Is there a real doctor in the house???

Edit:
@Duke Dive Medicine: This thread could use some professional input...

Bone cement

Last edited:
I would say err on the side of caution! There will be other trips. I’m not a doctor but I have had back pain off & on since my early 20’s, and I sure wish trying skateboarding was not on my list of past adventure sports.

Thanks Everyone,

Interesting to hear other people's experiences. I'm going to read our insurance carefully and we'll make a decision nearer the time depending how he gets on!

I played American foot ball in high school and college.

My position was running guard which meant I pulled from the offensive line ran down the line of scrimmage leading the play and either being blocked from the side hitting my left knee or hitting and opposing player with my head

The result was two operations on my left knee by the time I was 20 years old and ALL the vertebrae's in my cervical spine compressed to that of a 90 year old by the time I was 20 years old and range of motion (ROM) reduced to about 15 % laterally and zero % horizontally.

And yes I have been in pain all my life-- but if I had to do it all over I would still play football.

I have always received relief from pain by aquatic activity - swimming, surfing and skin and SCUBA diving.

It is your life only you are ultimately responsible...Along with your attending Ortho Doctor who should do a final evaluation and have the final say prior to activity such as diving

SDM

Last edited:
Hi, My boyfriend is currently in hospital after fracturing 3 thoracic vertebrae and some ribs in a mountain biking accident. He hasn't had surgery, they are fitting him with a back brace on Tuesday which they said he will need for 8-12 weeks. 12 weeks takes us to our diving holiday in Indonesia so a long flight followed by 2 weeks of diving. Obviously we will follow the doctor's advice but just wondering if anyone else has had anything similar and how you felt when the brace came off/how soon you dived? Thanks for any replies.

Hi,

He will need to be in the brace for 8-12 weeks but that does not mean he will be cleared for full physical activity at that point. The most appropriate person to answer his/your question is the orthopedist who is following him and has examined him in person. If the orthopedist thinks he's ready for full physical activity at 12 weeks, then that's your answer. If not, the spine is nothing to play with, as other posters have detailed.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom