Diving after 55 - split from: Tavernier fatality - Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is a simple fact that many people of all ages have health concerns that can strike at any moment. One of the greatest female athletes of all time, Flo Hymen, fell to the floor just after leaving the volleyball game in which she was playing, and doctors said she was probably dead before she landed.

It is a simple fact that as we age, we are more and more likely to have such an event. It can happen at any time. Statistics show that the most common time for heart attacks is in the morning, shortly after getting out of bed. The second most common time is while we are sleeping. It can happen during leisure activities, including golf, bowling, fishing, or scuba diving.

It is a simple fact that considering the fundamental nature of the activity, there are very few deaths annually to scuba divers, but when they happen, they seem to become big news and generate contentious discussion. When was the last time you saw a vigorous Internet discussion about someone who died of a heart attack while playing golf?

Put those simple facts together, and it is obvious why we end up in discussions like this. What is the difference between someone who has a heart attack while playing golf and someone who has a heart attack while scuba diving? When was the last time you heard of calls to ban people from golf courses after they reach a certain age, which was a proposal for dive boats in a recent ScubaBoard discussion after a similar incident? Scuba is one of the few activities that has discussion groups like this, so it is the activity that draw these debates.

There is a huge
It is a simple fact that many people of all ages have health concerns that can strike at any moment. One of the greatest female athletes of all time, Flo Hymen, fell to the floor just after leaving the volleyball game in which she was playing, and doctors said she was probably dead before she landed.

It is a simple fact that as we age, we are more and more likely to have such an event. It can happen at any time. Statistics show that the most common time for heart attacks is in the morning, shortly after getting out of bed. The second most common time is while we are sleeping. It can happen during leisure activities, including golf, bowling, fishing, or scuba diving.

It is a simple fact that considering the fundamental nature of the activity, there are very few deaths annually to scuba divers, but when they happen, they seem to become big news and generate contentious discussion. When was the last time you saw a vigorous Internet discussion about someone who died of a heart attack while playing golf?

Put those simple facts together, and it is obvious why we end up in discussions like this. What is the difference between someone who has a heart attack while playing golf and someone who has a heart attack while scuba diving? When was the last time you heard of calls to ban people from golf courses after they reach a certain age, which was a proposal for dive boats in a recent ScubaBoard discussion after a similar incident? Scuba is one of the few activities that has discussion groups like this, so it is the activity that draw these debates.

What is the difference between someone who has a heart attack while playing golf and someone who has a heart attack while scuba diving?

There is a huge difference in someone having a heart attack while serving as a dive buddy who is ostensibly supposed to be providing assistance and (possibly even a back up air supply) to their dive buddy versus some guy who falls over on the 4th tee.

People MIGHT survive a heart attack on the golf course, but not so likely when submerged on a scuba dive. The occurrence of a heart attack endangers the buddy and anyone else who might try to rescue them, a lot less dangerous to try CPR on the golf course compared to dragging an unconscious dive buddy to the surface as fast as possible. Those are some of the differences - they seem obvious to me,

I turned 70 this year.

Still diving and feeling pretty comfortable. weightless and free on old bones.
I'll be 75 in three months, and I certainly will continue to dive as long as I can. The diving itself is relatively easy compared to lugging heavy tanks. This is partiallly due to the absolute calm, the lack of anxiety that a half century of diving produces. On Caribbean trips I have to smile at the air gulping young divers, eyes bulging with concern as they realize that despite their computers and multiple c cards they don't quite have the hang of it yet.

I realize, of course, that the statistics and physiology are against me. I can't blame the DMs whose faces tighten a bit when they catch sight of my mane of white hair and the DOB on my c card. I consequently prefer solo diving in shallower water. It's much more fun than following a pack of scared kids, arcane terminology rattling around in their heads, as they roil the surface with massive gas discharges and frighten marine life with their exaggerated movements and counterproductive haste.

I am 54, not as fit as I was and a bit heavier but I am still as healthy and as fit as a lot of younger men.
Age isn't a simple cut off. People are living longer and are generally fitter into older age thsn previous generations.
There are comoramises as you get older, I gave to admit I don't dive as deep or as cokd as I used to.

I always get a laugh when the DM or whoever checks C cards looks at my instructor card and says "You were an instructor before i was born"

Lou, is that you?

I am 53, and I plan to get a stress test before next dive in Spring just because I would hate to ruin another diver's vacation with my poorly timed death, if I can, I will avoid that social gaff.:skull::m16:
It really seems to be just the heart, and maybe we should all make sure a cholesterol blocked artery isn't waiting its chance to close up due to diving exertion.

People MIGHT survive a heart attack on the golf course, but not so likely when submerged on a scuba dive. The occurrence of a heart attack endangers the buddy and anyone else who might try to rescue them, a lot less dangerous to try CPR on the golf course compared to dragging an unconscious dive buddy to the surface as fast as possible. Those are some of the differences - they seem obvious to me,
How do they compare to having a heart attack during an 11 hour trans-ocean flight? It doesn't seem to have worked out so good for the 60 y/o this week and even worse for the 10y/o. Should we ban people over 35 from flying?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom