Diving across the Canada/US border

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually the US is tougher than Canada. So for you going, and for me returning, is the worst part....

I'll see if I can find the numbers. For some reason, they are not in my phone. I know they are on the boat (storage) and are in my dive log (at home). I'll PM you later. I think we have some time to get it right.... :D

There was a newspaper article last year with the numbers in it...

no idea about the forms, or what they are.....

---------- Post added March 5th, 2014 at 09:17 AM ----------

Would those numbers be the ones listed in http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov...ure_locations/great_lakes.ctt/great_lakes.pdf ?
Would we still need the I-68 forms?
(I suspect it's easier to do from your side of the border than from ours...)

Thankfully, much has changed since 2008 (the year of that document)....

---------- Post added March 5th, 2014 at 09:53 AM ----------

Buffalo News - 7/3/2011 (logically it parallels tying to a mooring or anchoring for diving - though logic and government usually are mutually exclusive terms) :

Last week's arrest and fine of a New York angler fishing on Ontario waters on the St. Lawrence River prompted area anglers to reassess procedures for fishing out of Erie and Niagara County ports in Lake Erie, the Niagara River and Lake Ontario.

Another U.S. boater was detained and issued an immediate fine of $1,000 at Whitby, Ont., for not properly reporting to Canada Customs when bringing fish ashore.
Last week, members of the Niagara Musky Association and other clubs and individuals have called the Canada Border Service Agency (CBSA) to determine proper procedure.
U.S. Customs allows Canadian vessels fishing access provided boaters do not land on shore, board other vessels, or allow others to board their boat(s).
A call to the "Can Pass" system this past week resulted in a Canadian official virtually citing the U.S. procedure. When on Wednesday the official was asked what someone would need to do to fish in Ontario waters near Buffalo on Friday, the agent politely said an angler could enter province waters and fish without reporting to Canada customs.
However, should that person choose to anchor or go ashore, he or she must first call the Can Pass number (1-888-226-7277) and either an official would inspect their boat at a landing site or they would be issued permission to anchor.
The incident in the Thousand Islands area has caused concern. A regional assemblyman and state senator have questioned the CBSA regulations leading to the fine of a U.S. angler at Gananoque Narrows on May 30.
U.S. anglers should have a current non-resident Ontario license, keep this Can Pass number on board and avoid anchoring or setting ashore before calling for proper procedures.

(I'll still try and post the numbers I have for US and CA Immigration Offices that i used in the past)

Last edited:
Buffaol/Ft. Erie Region

US Customs/Immigration 1-800-927-5015
Canada Customs/Immigration 1-800-265-6233

When I was a kid we crossed in a boat all the time and nobody cared.

Ah, the good old days. Was camped with a couple of teenage friends on the Minnesota side of the border, a small river. We hiked along the shore through some heavy brush for an hour or so and were, we thought, in the deep woods. Looked across at a nice empty appearing meadow in the woods and decided to hike back on the Canadian side since it would be easier. Stripped down to our underwear and began to wade across holding our clothes up nice and dry. Water was very cold and a bit deeper than we thought. Came within an inch or so of my crotch. So there we were in the middle of the US/Canadian border, walking on tip toes, one hand holding a bundle of clothes on our head, the other holding up our underpants trying to keep our junk dry when a car drives across what we thought was a roadless meadow and stops to laugh at us. It was a choice between modesty and keeping it dry. Went with dry.

I did a few dives in the St Lawrence. I was visiting Montreal and one of the dives did require us to have our passports. The dive charter had to stop at the US Customs before we could dive the wreck. I was the only American on the boat and I was also the only person that they would not allow off the boat on the American side (seems the charter got my name wrong on the manifest).

I remember that one. That was funny.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom