Diving across the Canada/US border

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dfx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I live somewhat close to the border (on Canadian side) and was wondering what the legal regulations for diving across the border in US waters are? I don't fish but I've heard that when fishing, you're OK when you're across the border in US waters as long as you don't anchor. Does the same thing apply to diving or would it be necessary to touch down on US coast, go through immigration or customs or anything like that?

Several years ago I asked US customs a similar question regarding the St Lawrence River and diving on the us wrecks. After the usual government office runaround the answer I was given was that I would need to contact customs and declare my entry into the US if I anchored on their side of the line.
I think the problem exists between the enforcement and regulation. What I got out of the conversation was that between customs and boarder security you are considered landed when you contact soil be it underwater or not on their side of the line. I always check in with customs both ways if I am going to anchor.

Some charters require your passport to do the US wrecks. I haven't done them though. I think I drifted over to the US on a dive but didn't surface:wink:

I did a few dives in the St Lawrence. I was visiting Montreal and one of the dives did require us to have our passports. The dive charter had to stop at the US Customs before we could dive the wreck. I was the only American on the boat and I was also the only person that they would not allow off the boat on the American side (seems the charter got my name wrong on the manifest).

Last time I was up there, we declared ourselves at Customs going each way over the border. Basically a requirement if you're working with one of the dive ops up there last I checked.

Just for clarification: I'm talking about an area in the middle of Lake Erie, nowhere real close to any shore. And this would be a private trip, not a dive charter. If that makes any difference.

Taking a passport along isn't a problem (we'd do that anyway), just wondering if we'd actually have to go through US custom first before doing the dive, and then go through Canadian customs again on the way back??? Or if it's legal to skip all that.

Usually they don't bug you. We have Canadian divers dive the wrecks off of Lexington without declaring anything to border patrol. I have dove the Wexford without asking the Canadians to enter the waters. Once in a awhile we would even stray over while shipwreck hunting by a few yards or more. When our friend was sidescaning near the Fitz, nobody said anything.

We live on a much smaller lake that runs between the US and Canada. When I was a kid we crossed in a boat all the time and nobody cared but now the US Border Patrol has their boat out there trying to keep people from crossing, let alone landing.

Thankfully, there seems to have been some "clarity" to the situation (yeah right). On Erie they have returned to the cell phone call in to customs when diving, declaring your intent to undertake scuba diving operations. From your side, call the 800 US number, get your issued immigration number, dive, and call Canadian Customs on your return, giving them the number. Easy! I do suggest having some form of documentation with you though. I carry an enhanced driver's license. If you are doing it a bunch, perhaps a Nexus card?

It was like this pre-911, and when they changed to requiring checking in at stations, it was part of the reason I stopped diving. It was a real PITA when I would take new divers to stuff like the Tonawanda and the Raleigh and we would have to run all the way to Pt. Colborne and back, and then have to run to Buffalo Harbor to check back in. We are still uncertain as the the regulations in regard to the River if using a shadow boat... guess it depends on the mood for the day... Some of the popular mid-lake wrecks seem to be "on the line", and I'd say its best to just call in....

It is easier once again!!!!

Thankfully, there seems to have been some "clarity" to the situation (yeah right). On Erie they have returned to the cell phone call in to customs when diving, declaring your intent to undertake scuba diving operations. From your side, call the 800 US number, get your issued immigration number, dive, and call Canadian Customs on your return, giving them the number. Easy! I do suggest having some form of documentation with you though. I carry an enhanced driver's license. If you are doing it a bunch, perhaps a Nexus card?
Would those numbers be the ones listed in http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov...ure_locations/great_lakes.ctt/great_lakes.pdf ?
Would we still need the I-68 forms?
(I suspect it's easier to do from your side of the border than from ours...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom