Divin' Duds: Whatcha Wearing & Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like a one-piece swimsuit under a dive skin. Then any wetsuit I need for that dive. I avoid swimsuits with little skirts.

Speaking as a diving male and spouse of a diving wife I see 2 issues.

You probably want a swimsuit that will stay in place as you get in and out of your divewear you seem to have found this in the tankini. I may be wrong but if the dive skin is not lined in certain areas is it not somewhat revealing when wet, especially in a lighter color? I assume the swimsuit is still worn underneath. This assumes a somewhat public, mixed company dive setting.

Second IMO if you have a properly fitting wetsuit and you have learned how do get into it by rolling it on, not tugging the need for the lycra layer is diminished

A layer of lycra between you and your wetsuit is just wet fabric and has no thermal value. Furthermore if you have one of the skin-in body seal suits like a Henderson Gold Core or a Bare SGS you are defeating the feature by providing a fabric highway for water movement.

Here is a thread I started a while back on the topic:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=109294&highlight=skinny

Pete

I wear a lycra sports bra top and volley shorts... very comfy, looks good, two peice and modest. In a wetsuit I use a lycra top between my top and the wet suit.

I usually prefer a 2-piece (easier to deal with in the head). I found one by Tyr (Speedo has them too) that has a top like a sports bra and a full-cut bottom, so it stays in place and has no hardware. Mine is also reversable.
The only caveat with any 2-piece is, be careful when you peel off your wetsuit. I once got my thumb stuck in the waistband of my bottoms... 'nuff said.

Deborah

drl:
The only caveat with any 2-piece is, be careful when you peel off your wetsuit. I once got my thumb stuck in the waistband of my bottoms... 'nuff said.
Similar problems are possible with a 1-piece. Don't ask me how I know.

I wear a tankini under my wetsuit. I bought mine from Landsend and really like that they have the kind that don't expose any midriff. I can also buy 'tall' sizes for a little extra coverage if I want so I get the best of a 1-piece coverage, with a 2-piece for convenience.

with a wet suit I wear a one piece simple with no decoration. then I put on a lycra one piece suit as I I prefer a shortie wetsuit and the lycra suit protects against stinging things like jellys and fire coral. I wear a swimsuit coz if Im on a dive boat I can strip the suits down to the waist in a surface interval and get some sun. Im just about to do some dry suit diving and will wear a swimsuit under the fleecy one piece suit.

Have you ladies who have bought your tankinis at Lands End found them to be true to the size chart? I'm in between sizes and I don't want my halter top to be too big in the cup. I normally take a size 8 in swimsuits so I'm wondering if I should go with that size.
Did the bottoms fit true to size as well?

I've found that a tankini is much better than a one piece suit. If you find a bathroom at the SI, a tankini (or regular 2 piece) is convenient. I usually wear a tankini top with those tight workout type shorts. I find them to be very comfortable under a wet suit, more comfortable than a bathing suit bottom.

Back
Top Bottom